Talk

Advanced search

Going for promotion when on maternity leave?

(3 Posts)
SASASI Mon 05-Jan-15 18:36:40

I have always planned to go back to work part time when the year maternity leave is up a - this has casually been discussed & job share seems to be possible.

An internal promotion on a part time basis came up & I've been selected for assessment & interview...it's a large organisation so internal still means quite a few candidates.

Ive still 8 months of the years maternity leave left. Do I broach this at interview? If they ask what do I say?
I assume they can't offer me the job on the condition that I return to work earlier than planned?

Mummyk1982 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:46:46

I don't think they can withhold a job from you if you're the most suitable candidate, BUT they could "decide" that another candidate is better qualified/ performed better at interview etc etc. I too went for a promotion, got it and am returning to work 5 weeks earlier than planned at their request. I agreed, but more because it's only for two days a week as opposed to 5 days a week that I was working....seemed a reasonable compromise to me and I didn't want to miss the opportunity ( I case suddenly there was a better candidate!)

SASASI Mon 05-Jan-15 21:40:54

That's exactly what I'm thinking - to the point of I don't know if I can even be bothered to go to interview although the experience will be good, especially as I suck at interviews. It's an hr drive, first thing & with a ebf 4.5 month old it's going to be hard going!

I've had to re-arrange a hospital app for it which Is why I'm dethering - I only changed app last thing this evening so I could always get it back in the morning.
My parents are of the opinion I should have asked for a later interview but then I would have had to cancel my dental hygienist app when I already had to cancel my previous one for another hospital app....at least this will change the sync of these 2 colliding clinics again I guess!!

Nothing is simple. I don't even have anything smart enough for an interview that fits my post birth belly. Joy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now