Talk

Advanced search

Toddler reins: to what age did you use yours for your dcs?

(9 Posts)
Molotov Mon 05-Jan-15 17:14:12

My dd2 is 2.9yo. She can walk well holding my hand, or just staying close whilst we are not near a road.

I made a mistake today where I thought it would be okay to not use the reins 1) because she is 3yo soon and 2) she has shown she can be trusted to stay close without them.

Today I was proven wrong and have probably accrued 2 more grey hairs because of it sad

She clearly needs the reins still. I just wondered how others have fared smile

Molotov Tue 06-Jan-15 12:14:59

Just wondering smile

PollyIndia Tue 06-Jan-15 15:31:28

DS is 2.3 and I don't really use them anymore, mainly as he zooms about on his scooter. I did use them, well, one of the backpack ones, from 15 months when we went to India probably for about 6 months until he got his scooter.
Having said that, I still take the buggy when he scoots often, especially if we are out a long time in case he doesn't stop when I say so, so I can immediately strap him in as a consequence of not listening. He is generally good at stopping now, but also still only 2.3 so I would be stupid to trust him!

Piratejones Tue 06-Jan-15 17:45:30

I never used them, i used the buggy until 5 years, i really wish i had used reins, it would have been so much better for all of us.

footallsock Wed 07-Jan-15 20:39:22

Never used. Mine were on scooters or balance bikes by 2.5 and lots of road rules. If they need to be kept close I just keep them within arms length. I tell them off lots if they don't follow the rules.

Leo35 Fri 09-Jan-15 19:51:52

DS2 was well over 3, probably past 3 and a half before we could consider not using them. Just keep using them alongside all the other stuff like listening to you, holding your hand - whatever you feel you need to put in place and eventually you will be able to leave them at home. Good luck!

VikingLady Fri 09-Jan-15 19:57:56

DD is 2.10 and hasn't really needed them in at least 6m. I still put them on her because they are a very useful threat! If she lags behind or looks like she'll wander off/won't leave somewhere I can threaten to hold her reins like a baby - it works a treat on her!

Meplusyouequals4 Fri 09-Jan-15 23:07:00

DD was about 3 and a half when I stopped with the proper reins. But I still use the wrist ones. We cross 4 main roads on the way to school so I do it for my own piece of mind really. She hold my hand but it's there if I need it. She is 5.

MiaowTheCat Sat 10-Jan-15 16:38:28

I don't use them AS much with DD1 (nearly 3) as I used to do recently - she was a bolter in the past, but these days I do still use them when I'm going somewhere with lots of traffic - purely as I still have a pushchair to push with her younger sister in so I like having the extra line of protection in case I need to use both hands to get the buggy up a kerb or whatever.

She's very good at the rule of if you can see cars or water you use reins or hold a grown up's hand that we have though so now it's purely to make life a bit safer pushing the buggy on occasions.

On the other hand her 22 month old sister is not ever ever ever getting out of the buggy without them at the moment as she's going through a "not holding hands" phase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now