Talk

Advanced search

First night for Ds in a bed tonight...

(17 Posts)
teacher54321 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:21:33

... Am a bit nervous...

BotBotticelli Sat 03-Jan-15 18:15:30

How old is he? Watching with interest. Ds1 is 25mo and we are going to have to evict him from his cot in the next 6 months as there's a new baby on the way. Dreading it!

LidlMermaid Sat 03-Jan-15 18:20:37

We put 2 and a half year old DD in a bed for the first time last night. She went to bed happily and slept all night as usual. She shouted for yes to come and get her this morning as normal, even though she could have got up and toddled into us by herself if she'd wanted. Just need to remember to make sure the stair gate is closed at night now just in case.

I'd have kept her in the cot longer but she's very big for her age and was starting to look a bit cramped in it.

Dollyemi Sat 03-Jan-15 18:21:08

I was the same, we have a new one on the way and I was struggling to lift dd (22months) out of the cot. First night, slept like a dream. Next 3 nights she woke up once or twice, we just went in and reassured her we were still there and put her lullabies back on, calmly and quietly put her back in bed and she stayed there. Took about 5 days of being consistent and now she's a happy bunny in it, got a lindam bed guard on of course. He'll be fine

FourthMary Sat 03-Jan-15 18:21:24

I was dreading it with ds and imagined him being up and down all night, but he didn't budge and shouted when he wanted to get up.

He wasn't a climber though, so didn't take the sides off his cot bed until 2.5.

Good luck.

teacher54321 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:42:28

He's 2yrs 8mo. I've put a rolled up bath towel under the sheet in the hope that will stop him rolling out of bed... He's in his converted cot bed so it's only about half a foot off the floor anyway... We don't have stair gates at the moment am wondering whether we need one... Might have a trip to mothercare in the morning!

Appervine Sat 03-Jan-15 20:32:25

We've just put ds2 into a big boy bed tonight. Have returned him to his bed around 20 times so far. He's exhausted but keeps getting out. I remember with ds1 it took 78 returns before he finally went to sleep.
I have wine fortunately.

How's it going op?

Singsongmama Sat 03-Jan-15 20:38:02

78? Children really are incredible! Good luck OP and everyone else putting their wee ones to bed tonight.

teacher54321 Sat 03-Jan-15 20:41:24

He hasn't come out yet...! But that means nothing! He does sleep in a ready bed thing at grandma's and had naps in a proper bed at the Childminder's house so he has slept in them before. I am a bit nervous about him being able to wander around the house at will!

Strawberrybubblegum Sat 03-Jan-15 21:02:10

How high are your door handles? If you shut the door (with monitor on to hear him!) will that keep him in?

Even if he can get out, what he wants is to find you. Providing he knows the house and your room is on the same floor as his, it should be fine!

We don't have stair gates either - and had to move DD out of her cot unexpectedly over Christmas when she started throwing herself over the bars! And for the first few nights she hated it if we shut her door confused

The first few nights were pretty hellish - put her back into bed a lot of times (probably not as many as appervine!) but it was better within a week. Now I think she really likes it: she's been sleeping later than usual in the mornings (hallelujah!) and each morning she tells me proudly '<DD name> sleep bed' smile

Appervine Sat 03-Jan-15 21:10:03

Well he's gone off. That wasn't as bad as I feared. We've got a side bar thing on the bed so hopefully it won't feel hugely different to the cot.
It's just bed times that will be hard work for a few nights.

How close is dc's door to the top of the stairs op?

teacher54321 Sat 03-Jan-15 21:16:04

Our bedroom doors are directly opposite each other and the stairs are to the left, round the corner he doesn't have to cross the stairs if that makes sense? We always sleep with our bedroom door wide open and have a night light in the hall so he'd be able to see well enough. He can open doors and turn lights on so he's pretty independent in that regard. Our house is a new build and all those things seem to be quite low down!

teacher54321 Sat 03-Jan-15 21:16:58

Glad he went off appervine smile

Appervine Sat 03-Jan-15 21:36:59

Sounds like he'll be fine, but you may not sleep very well for the next few nights as you'll be worried.

Hope it's all ok. smile

teacher54321 Sun 04-Jan-15 09:59:10

Well he woke up at 6.30 and called out for me to get him out of bed!! so first night was a success smile

Appervine Sun 04-Jan-15 19:16:13

Good result. Ds made it till 4 then came into our room. Nap time was a disaster too. He refused to go down at all. Just going through rapid return night two. At least he's tired...

teacher54321 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:34:28

Haha! Ds stopped napping about 6 weeks ago, but for the first time EVER today he dropped off on the sofa this afternoon, I felt terrible waking him up but I wanted him to get bed tonight (mean mummy) hope your ds settles off soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now