Talk

Advanced search

Dummy... When did your baby learn how to keep it in?!

(14 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:16:19

After replacing my babies dummy a thousand times a day I started wondering when she would start just keeping it in her mouth?

Chaby Sat 03-Jan-15 17:51:11

my ds never managed so i gave up trying by 3 months.

Rivercam Sat 03-Jan-15 17:53:55

Babies don't have to have dummies. If she doesn't like it, don't use it ( I never used them for my two)

Bellyrub1980 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:56:20

Oh mine loves it! It soothes her, helps her fall asleep etc. But she just can't hold it in!

pookamoo Sat 03-Jan-15 18:00:16

How old is she?

Bot of mine had them for a little while.

DD1 from about 8 to 12 weeks, then chucked it out of the moses basket and never took it again.

DD2 from about 2 weeks until she found her thumb.

They are all different I suppose.

Dd almost immediately. DS never. He pull it out. Eventually found his thumb.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 03-Jan-15 18:03:05

All mine used their thumbs and self soothed beautifully. Only problem is, DD1(19), still does it now in times of stress.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:04:58

She's 7 weeks. She really does like it, and it calms her down and helps her to sleep and then it will drop out of her mouth and she'll wake up.

The truth is im trying to get her to take her naps in her crib during the day (instead of on me or in the sling) and see the dummy as a route to this. But perhaps it's not.

I wouldn't worry about getting her to sleep in her cot until at least 4 months tbh. If she wakes when it falls out it maybe better to wean her off it entirely imo.

Or keep putting it back in and then as she gets bigger leave several in her cot so she can always find one? That's the alternative.

Would a taggy blanket be a good comforter? It works for some.

Littlef00t Sat 03-Jan-15 20:17:04

I think dummies always fall out, then they get to 7/8 months and they just learn to put it back in, or sleep without it.

Redling Sat 03-Jan-15 23:57:37

I gave DS one at 10 weeks and he tends to suck it as he falls asleep but then spits it out once he is asleep by choice, as he stays asleep. I only gave him one for day naps at first as he settled fine at night, but he does have one when falling asleep. Tbh as a previous poster said at 7 weeks you may be spending more time trying to put her in the crib to sleep then you would if you just let her sleep on you... It really is as much developmental as it is learned behaviour and babies aren't really ready to be 'put down' to sleep a lot when very young. So be aware you could spend hours a day putting her in the crib, replacing dummies etc for no reason as she won't be learning anything and you may just be better embracing the sofa and cuddles for the relatively short period it is. I know there is an ever present fear of 'bad sleep habits' but I've seen since and been reassured by people here that newborns will be like this regardless of what you do. Also loads happens to chame things, my DS reverted back to only sleeping on me last month at 4 months due to various growth spurt and sleep regression clingyness and is just the last couple of days going down for naps elsewhere, but I dealt with it because a rested baby is better than a screamingly overtired angry baby any day! He's a right raging creature of he doesn't get his sleep so I go with it for an easy life smile nights are ok, he sleeps in his cot no bother, so I take the hit in the day! The dummy never made him sleep better or longer, it just meant he fell asleep quicker and with less screaming.

Bellyrub1980 Sun 04-Jan-15 10:50:59

Redling, I do love sleepy cuddles on the sofa and sling!! When you put it like that I can see why it's not worth trying the crib in the day. And i guess one day she won't need me to rock her to sleep.... And then I'll miss it!!

Redling Sun 04-Jan-15 13:29:05

I was worried that holding DS all the time would make him an awful sleeper, but then newborns are awful sleepers anyway smile he seems to have found a tolerable groove now smile I would always pop him down when he was in a really deep sleep and use the 20 mins or so to wash a few dishes, wee and have a coffee smile then inevitably have to go back when the grunting started and back to the shoulder he went smile

Redling Sun 04-Jan-15 13:29:42

That's a crazy amount of smileys I've done there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now