Talk

Advanced search

1yo and naps. help.

(12 Posts)
TuckingFablet Sat 03-Jan-15 13:05:32

I am going to explode pretty soon. 13 month old dd apparently doesn't need naps any more according to her. I have rocked, patted, gone for a walk in the pouring rain. Shes had calpol, teething granules and has her calpol plug in on. She has a clean nappy and a belly full of lunch and milk. She is exhausted but will not sleep. Every single day this week she has done this and by 4pm she is over tired and is then a nightmare to get to bed. DP has been at work on the 8am-6pm shift all week so I have been on my own. His next day off isn't until next friday. I cannot do this any longer. I need her to have a nap and stop climbing all over me. She's too tired to cruise around the furniture so just falls alot and bangs her head. I can't leave the room without a full on meltdown. There's nobody to take her for an hour or so and I just need a break. Half an hour would be nice. Please tell me this isn't the end for naps forever?

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Sat 03-Jan-15 13:11:09

Oh no! She is definitely too young to stop napping but sounds very wired. Is she just having one nap a day now? How long has she been on one nap? She sounds overtired and wound up, not much help today but I'd try a short morning nap and a short afternoon nap tomorrow. My 14m old is sometimes one nap a day and sometimes two. I prefer the one nap as it's longer but somedays she just can't cope with not sleeping in the morning.
How does she normally get to sleep for her day naps and where does she have them?

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Sat 03-Jan-15 13:13:22

also you mentioned she is cruising. In my experience there is a massive sleep regression as they learn to walk as their brains are so busy with the new skill they find it hard to wind down for sleep. (Much like adults after a very hectic day at work, brain racing!). I would def try her with more sleep and an earlier nap and also take comfort that it won't last forever!
For today can you drive round with her? Pop her in cot with some board books and ignore?

Pastmyduedate0208 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:23:37

Put her in her cot, say "Naptime", close the curtains and the door and leave her in the dark until she gets the message. ?

HoggleHoggle Sat 03-Jan-15 13:26:16

I second the driving round thing as a short fix for today - just to get a nap in and try to break the cycle ready to start afresh. Then tomorrow try two naps. My ds is just over 12 months and more often than not is on 2 naps, his morning nap is usually the longest. He naps in his buggy even inside the house, it's the only way I can get him to nap. Not ideal, but the alternative is much worse!

TuckingFablet Sat 03-Jan-15 13:34:09

I can't drive so that's not an option sad
she used to be a wonderful sleeper. she used to have a morning and afternoon nap no problem. then she went down to just am afternoon nap because she started waking up later in the morning a few weeks ago. Now as soon as I put her in her cot she screams. The room is dark, there's no distractions in her cot. she has a full bottle to settle her down then I put her in the cot and bam she's banshee screaming. sad

HoggleHoggle Sat 03-Jan-15 14:01:36

Do you think it could be separation anxiety? Ds had this at 9 months but I know around a year is a key time for it to appear too. If so, we found lots of reassurance and gradual retreat helped

PinkParsnips Sat 03-Jan-15 14:12:16

I could have written your post OP my DD is 13mths and she is such hard work lately! She also doesn't want to nap - she's been up since 7am and has finally finally gone down at 2pm on the 4th attempt.

I've found the only way for me is to keep taking her up, making it dark etc saying nap time and putting her down with her snuggy, then leave the room and to be honest if she doesn't want to nap she won't and no amount if rocking, leaving her there etc works - I just get her up, take her back down , wait 30 mins and try again until she gives in.

I find this calms her down for the next attempt whereas if I try to rock her or lay her back down she just gets angrier and angrier - it's soul destroying some days so i fully sympathise!!

She is also doing the screaming thing when left - even when I go in the kitchen so I wonder if like a pp said it's separation anxiety?? Bloody exhausting for all concerned!! confused

TuckingFablet Sat 03-Jan-15 14:36:39

well its taken 2 hours. 2bottles of milk (where does she fit it?!) her sleepy sheepy playing music, me sitting on the chair while she roamed the cot yabbering away then finally one last bottle of milk sent her over the edge into sleep.
It's times like these I really wish she hadn't given up her dummy. she was so easy to settle then sad a few days before her birthday she just lost interest completely and looks at me likehmm if I offer her one now sad
oh lord. she had really bad separation anxiety when she was about 7 months, I hope it's not that again. that damn near broke me. sad

TuckingFablet Sat 03-Jan-15 14:37:11

Sorry you're going through it too pinkparsnips

TuckingFablet Sun 04-Jan-15 10:49:38

here we go again. she was up at 5am today so is now exhausted but again will not sleep after nearly an hour of trying. this is ridiculous.

HoggleHoggle Sun 04-Jan-15 13:32:12

Urgh sorry tucking. I hate that early waking over tired dance. It's relentless. If it's any consolation, ds is also refusing to nap. He's ill, but I think is also at the two nap/one nap dither point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now