Talk

Advanced search

ok so help me out hear, what's the best way to wash baby's things?

(33 Posts)
silverandblack Sat 03-Jan-15 11:17:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

breakingthebank Sat 03-Jan-15 11:34:49

I don't wash in non bio, it doesn't get any stains out! Baby clothes get washed just like everything else in my house.

silverandblack Sat 03-Jan-15 12:13:55

SanityClause Sat 03-Jan-15 12:17:47

Sorry, how did you get that conclusion out of breaking's post?

(I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, but it's a bit of a leap from one person saying they don't bother with non bio to saying the whole thing is a marketing con!)

BaronessBomburst Sat 03-Jan-15 12:22:44

I didn't wash DS clothes in non-bio either. They just went in the wash, sometimes on 40 and sometimes on 30. The clothes came out clean, DS didn't come up in a rash from the powder. Well, it was a liquid actually, but you know what I mean. ;)

silverandblack Sat 03-Jan-15 14:05:06

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 03-Jan-15 14:51:51

I started a thread about bio/non-bio for newborns, a couple of days ago.

Its worth remembering that other countries don't have non-bio and in america the focus seems to be on purfumes and dyes if you react to some washing powders.

Last time I used non-bio and hated it - my whites greyed and stains were much harder to remove. This time I'm going to use my normal bio and rewash if necessary.

Oh and unless you wash all items, inc your own clothes and bedding in non-bio too then DC will still have an awful lot of contact with bio.

silverandblack Sat 03-Jan-15 15:17:02

Familyguyfan Sat 03-Jan-15 15:27:33

I have 2dc and have never used non bio or even put the clothes on an extra rinse. They go in with everything else. Obviously if one of my dc had had a reaction I would have changed my practices but we've been fine so far.

CarrotPuff Sun 04-Jan-15 10:17:08

Put your own wash with bio detergent and wash a couple of baby's vests (make sure you remember which ones).

Then put on those vests on your baby. If no reaction you can go ahead and wash with bio all clothes.

silverandblack Sun 04-Jan-15 13:47:35

Llareggub Sun 04-Jan-15 13:49:50

I only use non-bio and always have. I have a skin reaction to bio. When sweat smells are an issue I soak/scrub with bicarbonate and this sorts them straightaway.

CoolCat2014 Sun 04-Jan-15 13:51:17

I always use non-bio for myself as I get eczema, for dd's washes I add napisan to help get stains out, and it works a treat smile

shelfontheelf Sun 04-Jan-15 14:27:29

I'm allergic to bio so have to use non bio. A bit of white vinegar can help with the stains.

Depends on your babies skin I guess and whether they can tolerate it.

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 04-Jan-15 14:35:17

Bio here too, never changed for baby. No probs.

footallsock Sun 04-Jan-15 21:56:04

Bio makes me itch and gives both DC a reaction. I use bio to get stains out occasionally then do quick wash in non bio after. I find bio clothes very hard too

dementedpixie Sun 04-Jan-15 22:05:56

I used bio for a couple of weeks and then switched to bio. We have never had any skin issues

museumum Sun 04-Jan-15 22:12:08

We have just bought some person high and mighty non-bio and it's bloody amazing!! Our bibs etc are the cleanest they've ever been. I'm probably going to use it in my clothes too.
No idea why it's so good (at 40deg) but I'm truly amazed.

museumum Sun 04-Jan-15 22:12:51

Persil not person!

slippermaiden Sun 04-Jan-15 22:17:13

How strange, I use non bio since mine were babies (I have a sensitive 7 year old) stains come out, 30 or 40 degrees wash. If the clothes are muddy I do it on a wash extra cycle. Bit of vanish soaking when the puréed veg used to be worn rather than eaten hmm

slippermaiden Sun 04-Jan-15 22:19:39

My SiL washes her two year olds clothes separately in non bio and always has done!

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 04-Jan-15 22:21:40

I use non-bio usually fairy but add a scoop of Aldi version of vanish oxy to help get stains out.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Sun 04-Jan-15 22:40:28

I always use our normal washing powder. All our family have sensitive skin, we get eczema if use wrong shampoo etc, but we are fine with the powder we use, which is bio, but there are many bios we can't use eg Daz, Bold.

There was a very interesting article on bio v non-bio a while ago. Apparently UK is pretty unique in selling non-bio, in other countries it simply doesn't exist.

So what about all those people who are allergic to bio? Well, they made the very interesting point that non-bio is also not perfumed and a quick look at the washing powder shelf will show you that pretty much every other powder has perfume in it.
When bio was first made it was very strong, and did cause problems, but that only lasted a few years, and it is now much more likely to be the perfume etc in powders rather than the fact it has enzymes in it.

Interesting, I wish they had done some blind tests with people, it would be very interesting to see.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Sun 04-Jan-15 22:43:47

by the way, for those of use who use non-bio plus vanish - normal vanish contains the same enzymes as in bio.

Mrscog Sun 04-Jan-15 22:45:38

This is interesting - I always use non bio, because bio seems to fade and bobble clothes for me. As for washing just do on a standard 40 degree wash, sunlight gets most stains out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now