Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Changing to cows milk??

(12 Posts)
blondebaby111 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:31:59

Dd is nearly one and I plan to start introducing cows milk. She already has it on her cereal but I plan to let her drink it as soon as ( well try) My dd absolutely goes nuts for her milk still, still has four bottle 7oz morning and night and 2 4oz bottles late morning and mid afternoon. I plan to reduce these soon too.
But just wondered did u introduce it gradually?? Did u do it in a bottle still or a sippy cup, have just got dd to drink from these after months of trying but we are getting there, health visitor told me full fat milk and vitamins drops??? Is that right???

Woodenheart Sat 03-Jan-15 10:38:23

I think I gave it a couple of times a week to start with?

She had formula & was BF until one,

DD is 20 months now and still has cows milk in a bottle or cup, but she still also BFs and has water etc hmm trying to wean her off the boob isn't easy!

So maybe try bottle or cup, I give it cold or warmed up depending on time of day etc,

Dollyemi Sat 03-Jan-15 10:38:47

Sippy cup (cheap Tommy tippee ones as they're free flowing and my dd took to them easily), we gradually added cows milk to her toddler milk and within a week she was on cows milk. I'd ditch the bottles now if you can.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:38:58

My DS is 9m/o and BF but today he will have his first drink of cow's milk in preparation for me returning to work in three weeks time.

I know ideally it shouldn't be given as a drink until they are 1 but due to shift work, problems with expressing and a baby who refuses formula then I'm left with little choice. He will only have it as a drink twice a day, two days a week and will remain breast fed for the other five days.

He has 3oz of cows milk with his breakfast, which he is fine with, so I can't see why it should be any different just because he will be having it as a stand alone drink.

I imagine in your case it might he best to replace one bottle at a time in order to prevent any stomach upsets.

When my DS has milk he will be having it in a beaker.

NickyEds Sat 03-Jan-15 11:30:42

We switched DS a couple of weeks before his first birthday just before Christmas. He was only having a bottle in the evening and one in the morning by then so we just switched one night and he was fine. However he's a really good eater and has really never been very fussy (switched between ebm, boob, all types of formula, cartons, powder etc). I might be tempted to switch the daytime bottles to cows milk in sippy cups first if I were you.
Yes to full fat and vitamin drops. I was told that the vitamins were up to me to decide, and by no means essential.

blondebaby111 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:33:38

Ok thankyou for all your replies x

annoyedofnorwich Sat 03-Jan-15 12:33:59

To writer wannabe, I think cows milk is recommended as a drink only over 1 year old as the iron content isn't as high as breastmilk/formula? Hence why a bit is ok but not as a standalone drink.
And to the op, maybe vitamin drops are being recommended as there is iron in them (is there?)

blondebaby111 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:21:25

I don't know, when I mentioned vitamin drops to my mum she looked shocked and said she won't need them but if she does I'd rather give them but must admit never heard of it before

NickyEds Sat 03-Jan-15 15:08:48

I was recommended some drops by the hv that they sell at the weighing clinic. They're vitamin A,C and D but no iron. I give him them maybe every other day as I forgetblush. I doubt very much that they're really necessary- Ds has a pretty good diet.

Racheyg Sat 03-Jan-15 20:24:39

I brought vitamin drops, but upon reading more info as long as your little one has a well balanced, healthy diet. So they are still unopened in the cupboard.

My son took to cows milk really well, we give it to him warm in a beaker morning and night. He stopped bottles at about 11 months and slowly reduced his own milk feeds from 8 months.

Good luck with everything x

adiposegirl Sat 03-Jan-15 20:30:03

i never bothered with cows milk as the nutritional content leaves a lot to be desired. coconut or SHEEP milk & yogurt here.

CarrotPuff Sun 04-Jan-15 10:07:36

If she's still having formula you shouldn't give vitamins as formula has those added already. It's only for babies who are bf/have cow's milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now