Talk

Advanced search

Cot to bed

(3 Posts)
itssangriaoclock Fri 02-Jan-15 20:01:50

What age do you usually transfer to a bed???

I do you do this?

Would getting my 19month old used to having a duvet and pillow help?

My ds stays with my mum once and a week and she has decided that he should be in a bed as he is growing out of the travel cot. Her opinion not mine. I feel that he is too young, her answer is that I was in a bed from 14months.

Any thoughts, I agree I was thinking about it. But thought 2 would prob be a better age?

trilbydoll Fri 02-Jan-15 20:31:33

I have a 19mo, we took the side off a couple of months ago to break the bad associations she had with bedtime.

It's much easier to keep her lying down now we don't have to bend over the side of the cot. Other than that I can't really see any advantage if your dc is happy.

She has had a pillow since 11mo, tbh I don't think she is that fussed about it even now. We recently tried a duvet but she hates being under anything, so we have to pull it over her when she is asleep. The Jojo snuggle suits are my current favourite for bedtime.

We have this bed guard which is brilliant - www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30099293/ - stops her falling out but she can climb over it so no risk of her chucking herself off the bed from higher than necessary!

NannyNim Sat 03-Jan-15 15:47:49

Every child is different IRT moving from a cot to a bed. My LO made the move at 22mths as he wouldn't settle in a cot and liked the freedom of being in "Mummy and Daddy's bed". Since being in a bed virtually all drama surrounding bedtime has ended.

A friend's DS didn't have a bed until we was about 2.5 simply because he was happy in a cot and they had no reason to move him.

My LO hated his duvet at first and complained about feeling "stuck" underneath it. He can also take or leave his pillow.

If you don't feel comfortable then don't make the switch. You'll be anxious and your DS won't settle. Could you compromise and simply have a mattress on the floor? Just the same as having a bed but no risk of falling out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now