Talk

Advanced search

Cannot put baby down!

(19 Posts)
ElleOhElle Fri 02-Jan-15 18:19:13

Ugh, had a tough day today - just cannot put my 7 week old down. The second I pit him down he screams. Finally get him to sleep, wait 20 mins, put him down - wakes up screaming. feeding every 2 hours.
using colief and gripe water.
got a whining 3 year old who I feel I'm constantly telling to play on her own sad sad sad
This has been a particularly testing day. I feel so tense. Luckily 3yo is in bed already and baby is feeding so having a sit down.
The house is a tip!
He'll take a dummy if I'm cradling him, otherwise he spits it out.
Won't sit in his swing for more than a few minutes (if I'm lucky)
White noise not working.
Hates the car seat.
Likes the pram as long as he's being pushed outside - wakes up the second we get home.
will tolerate the carrier but I'm finding it too cumbersome to actually do chores with it on (can anyone recommend a sling??)
Aaaaand breathe.

TipsyMcStaggers Fri 02-Jan-15 18:25:35

My 6 month old is the same. Poor you, it's hard flowers

I'd look up reflux/silent reflux as my baby has this and takes omeprazole which helps a lot.

Yes we use a sling with her for many hours a day. We just got a mothercare one.

I think we just accepted that this is how our DD is and it won't be forever. Have you got family who can help you out?

PurplePidjingThroughTheSnow Fri 02-Jan-15 18:30:32

Lollipop or Victoria Sling Lady stretchy wrap cheap off ebay, hit youtube to show you how to tie it, and wine or brew of your choice. You have a 3yo, you know this stage doesn't last long, but it is hell while you're in it thanks

ElleOhElle Fri 02-Jan-15 18:40:42

yeah I've got family around but they all work. Mum came for a couple of hours today but still didn't manage to get anything done.
DH does a long day at work and is out tonight- Argh!!

singalongsong Fri 02-Jan-15 18:40:58

I had one of these babies...got a close caboo sling. Made life much easier :-) shes 6 months now and isn't quite as bad as she used to be. Would def recommend a soft fabric/ring type sling, try ebay though as they're ££ brand new.

ElleOhElle Fri 02-Jan-15 18:42:52

you're right purple - I really don't want to wish the baby time away but it's so hard.
I feel horrible because I know he's feeling a bit poorly too just want him to sleep.

ImBrian Fri 02-Jan-15 18:44:18

Snap!! I have a colicky 7 week old and a 3 year old demon! Best thing I've found is a stretch wrap, I shove him in there and it's instant knock out. He must like being warm and squished.

He's even more clingy at the minute as he is full of cold and my dd is the same. It's hard work but it's got to get better at some point hasn't it!

Chickz Fri 02-Jan-15 18:45:11

How tough for you. Sounds like you have a high needs baby. Google dr sears high needs.
And join the high needs baby support thread on the parenting board.
Good luck.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:32:39

Snap!!

Have you stolen my 7 week old baby?

I've managed to get mine to nap in her crib in the day ONCE in her entire life!

I have a wrap sling and it has honestly changed my life (now she no longer screams when I put her in it!!)

ElleOhElle Sat 03-Jan-15 19:31:01

ah bellyrub!!! what wrap sling is everyone using?

Pastmyduedate0208 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:14:04

I use the NCT Caboo carrier it literally transformed my baby. I would use it all day long but it starts to do your back in so i limit use to 3 hours (of peace) per day.

ImBrian Sun 04-Jan-15 16:41:45

What is it with all these clingy 7 week olds. Mines a tricot slen, I ment to get a kari me but clicked on the wrong button. From what I can gather they're all fairly similar.

slugseatlettuce Sun 04-Jan-15 16:53:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBuggerlugs Sun 04-Jan-15 17:17:13

My 7wo DD was very similar until we took her to see a cranial Oesteopath and she became a lot more settled and content when not on me or DH. I was very sceptical before we went but am a total believer now.

Bellyrub1980 Sun 04-Jan-15 21:07:49

Mine is a tricot slen which I got cheap at an NCT nearly new sale. Think it was £5 or £10. Have often wondered if there might be a better one out there...

ElleOhElle Mon 05-Jan-15 10:15:51

Thanks all, the HV did recommend cranial osteopathy so might look into that. it's for his sake as much as anything - not nice for him to be crying all the time. I physically can't carry him all day as he's a big baby (over 13lbs). will look at those slings. smile

Em1503 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:51:44

My baby (now 5 months) is similar. I'd second a connecta carrier, I've had a stretchy wrap and a manduca, I hated one, DD hated the other but we both love the connecta. (And they come in loads of pretty patterns too!)

MegBusset Wed 07-Jan-15 16:00:33

Ah, I had one of these. Yes to the sling, also get yourself to as many toddler groups as you can so your older DC can play and there will be people who can take a turn at holding the baby so you can have a cup of tea. Forget about housework!

If it's any consolation, my high-needs baby is now a strapping 7yo who won't even let me kiss him in the playground because "Muuuum, it's embarrassing"! This too shall pass.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 16:00:54

DD was like this at 7 weeks. Was a nightmare, you have my sympathy (and I didn't have a toddler to deal with).

Turned out she had tongue tie (and a bit of reflux, but think that was mainly caused by the tongue tie) which made her windy and never full and sleep badly. As a result she was massively overtired.

Any chance your LO has tongue tie?

Mine wouldn't tolerate the caboo, dummy or swing. Pram worked, but only if moving as you say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now