Talk

Advanced search

2 week old with cough - GP?

(9 Posts)
cantmakecarrotcake Fri 02-Jan-15 11:14:58

My 2 week old DD2 has developed a cough in the last day or 2 and I can't decide if I should try and get her seen by the GP today (mostly cos it's Friday and it's harder to get seen at the weekend).

She mostly coughs after a feed (BF) and retches a little. Her breathing is sometimes a little fast but I'm not sure if that's just her dreaming when asleep or being agitated wanting a feed when awake. She's a bit fussy at the breast but that may be because she's a bit snotty or because she's just wanting comfort rather than milk.

Just concerned because of the high bronchiolitis rates at the mo. Thoughts welcome. Thank you. xx

FraterculaArctica Fri 02-Jan-15 11:18:57

Just a thought but have you had her checked for tongue tie and/or silent reflux? Could present with a cough and some of the other symptoms you note.

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 02-Jan-15 11:33:08

The midwife checked for tongue-tie when I was sore from her cluster feeding and she said she looked fine.

I'll have a read about silent reflux though. I did wonder if she was aspirating the last bit of milk.

FraterculaArctica Fri 02-Jan-15 11:37:09

Hmm, midwife might be right but many don't have the training to diagnose tongue tie especially if posterior. Can you get to a breastfeeding support group and try to find a trained lactation consultant there?

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 02-Jan-15 11:47:17

Forgot to mention DD1 and I have both had a cold and cough for the last week.

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 02-Jan-15 11:50:07

Arctica, would the cough not have started sooner if it was feeding related? It's really only been the last 24 hours.

stressbucket1 Fri 02-Jan-15 11:54:42

I would take her I think a cough in a 2 week old is worth checking out

FraterculaArctica Fri 02-Jan-15 16:03:24

Sorry, I had meant to ask if she had other symptoms or you had other reason to think she might have a viral infection - it sounds like you do. I'm certainly no expert, just with my DS reflux symptoms caused by tongue tie kicked in at about 10 days or 2 weeks. Of course you should take her to the GP if you're concerned.

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 02-Jan-15 19:19:59

Well, she has the green snot (sorry) that I've had so I'm guessing it's the bug I've had. She's feeding ok now and producing lots of wet/poopy nappies.

She has been bringing up milk more often so I haven't ruled out tongue tie/reflux although it could just be the cough making her sick.

I think I'll watch and see how she is tonight/tomorrow. There's always 111 or out of hours if she worsens.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now