Talk

Advanced search

shocked at how many nappies babies go through!

(25 Posts)
silverandblack Thu 01-Jan-15 20:35:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 01-Jan-15 20:36:39

Its much less depressing if you use reusables so you don't feel you are paying each time - especially if baby does a poo on the new nappy before you even get it will on wink

silverandblack Thu 01-Jan-15 20:36:58

DearGirl Thu 01-Jan-15 20:37:49

In a 12 hour day I change approx 4

silverandblack Thu 01-Jan-15 20:38:49

silverandblack Thu 01-Jan-15 20:46:25

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 01-Jan-15 20:49:17

Yep babies do like to poop in a new nappy; however within a week she will be down to one or two poops a day which is much more appealing!

Try ALDI for cheap dispoables, they are great!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 01-Jan-15 20:49:51

Dear surely yours isnt still newborn though!

dobedobedo Thu 01-Jan-15 20:49:54

newborns have a reflex where whenever they eat, they poo. yes you need to change every time they poo and it is CONSTANT in the first weeks. It does settle down though, I promise. I now only change about 5 a day.

HangingInAGruffaloStance Thu 01-Jan-15 20:50:12

Yes you've got to change as soon as they are soiled.

It does calm down a bit! I can't remember when, but it doesn't last forever.

catlass Thu 01-Jan-15 20:52:21

Newborns can poop a lot, especially if formula fed. It'll calm down I promise! My DS is 13 months now and we go through an average of 5 nappies a day give or take. I'd carry on changing her every time she has done a poo otherwise she might get sore. Same if she is wet but I wouldn't wake her just to change a wet nappy (would for poo).

silverandblack Thu 01-Jan-15 21:32:54

sallysimpson Thu 01-Jan-15 21:40:01

I just use if there is a rash or some sore ness, which was often with my DC1 but DC2 has only had it applied once during a nasty bout of diarrhoea! So depends on the baby i guess.

The nappy use does decrease quite quickly as baby gets older, my 10 month old is only changed maybe 4/5 times a day, and not during the night. I change ASAP with soiling but modern disposable nappies can hold more urine without any discomfort to baby - although maybe this depends on baby too!

sallysimpson Thu 01-Jan-15 21:40:43

DC2 is the 10 months old btw!

butterfly86 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:54:34

When dd was newborn we once went through 37 nappies in 2 days blush I think we changed her every time she thought about having a wee!

catlass Thu 01-Jan-15 21:54:56

I agree, just use sudo creme if there is a rash or soreness. If she gets a rash that sudo creme doesn't work on then get some metanium (the yellow one, not the everyday one), it's brilliant for stubborn rashes.

Congratulations btw :D I miss those snuggly newborn days.

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Jan-15 21:59:49

Newborns get through shed loads of nappies. Fewer after about 7-8 weeks, fewer still after weaning, but I definitely agree about cloth nappies. I used Tots Bots for both dc, really liked them.

Mrsgrumble Thu 01-Jan-15 21:59:56

Yep, newborn here too. At least four during the night and same in the day. Constant it feels.

I dont use anything only water wipes and pat dry with cotton wool.

If baby ever gets sore, caldascene powder is better than sudocrem IMO as its dry and wet stuff on open skin doesn't heal as quickly (only my findings with dc1)

ElviraCondomine Sat 03-Jan-15 17:35:47

I'd find out if there is a nappy library in your area, or an independent supplier who can show you lots of different types of reusables. There is a huge huge range from ultra-expensive but beautiful all in ones and pocket styles through to cheap and cheerful prefolds and terries. I used practically everything on my two DD many moons ago, and loved folded terries for home, or shaped nappies for nursery. My DH liked prefolds pinned into place in the US style. The nursery were keen on all in ones for ease of use.

It's just one load of washing a day - and well worth it.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:02:12

I have a 7 week old and it really does get easier. Infact, I saw a big drop in poo'ey nappies at around 3-4 weeks when I switched to a dairy free diet for my babies colic. But that may be what happens anyway.

Now it's 0-2 poo-poos a day now. And probably 3-6 wet nappies (but not really counting them).

Racheyg Sat 03-Jan-15 18:40:16

It does get easier. When my son was a newborn he went through about 12 nappies a day then at around 8 weeks it went down to about 8. He is now 18 months and we only need to change him 4/5 throughout the day. Have fun with your baby my little man is teething and it's fun and games on my house grin xx

slightlyinsane Sun 04-Jan-15 23:48:06

Ah the new nappy poo, they're little buggers at that.
In the first few weeks I was changing about 24 nappies a day (twins) but was very relieved to get past that at about 6 wks ish.
My eldest dd turns 10 in just over a week and I'll have been changing nappies for 10 whole years ��

CatWithKittens Mon 05-Jan-15 09:43:59

Slightlyinsane, I must be more than slightly. DS3 was 3 two days ago and DS1 was 12 in October taking into account the three DC between them and that DS3 is only now reasonably reliable in the day and still has a nappy for a nap or a long car journey as well as at night, we have been changing nappies for over 12 years. (If DS3 is like his siblings we can look forward to another couple of years at night as well.) DH calculates roughly 45,000 nappy changes in all.

eurochick Mon 05-Jan-15 09:49:56

It does get better. Mine was terrible for weeing/pooing during a change so sometimes we wouldn't even get the new nappy on her before it was dirty. My record was a four nappy change.... By five months she was generally only pooing once a day.

slightlyinsane Mon 05-Jan-15 11:42:41

Omg cat 45,000!!!!!! My twins are only 7 months and I expect at least another 3 yrs and if they follow 2 of the others who still aren't dry at night it could be 6yrs. That alone is enough to stop me having anymore. The thing that I will miss is the pushchair, I'll have to carry all the mountain of stuff on days out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now