Talk

Advanced search

bronchiolitis

(51 Posts)
Mumtobenovember Thu 01-Jan-15 18:29:48

My preemie girl is 13 weeks actual and 5 weeks corrected she was born at 32 weeks.
She's had a cough for the last few days and then cold like symptoms started yesterday.. Last night her breathing was very unusual she was sucking in under her ribs quite a lot and was taking more breaths.. We called 111 who sent an ambulance and then we spent the night in the children's hospital so she could be observed. We where told she had bronchiolitis a mild case but this could worsen as it's only day 2. We where sent home, she still isn't right coughing and breathing strangely- does anyone have any experience of this I'm so worried I can't relax or sleep sad

LIZS Thu 01-Jan-15 18:31:16

If you aren't happy take her back to the hospital. It is really comm and can be hard to watch though.

jimijack Thu 01-Jan-15 18:35:02

Yes, it's viral so can't be treated with antibiotics.
Sometimes they give nebulizer &/or steroids but not always.
Tiny babies get very tired very quickly when putting lots of effort into breathing.

Is baby still taking milk ok & waking up and staying awake for reasonable lengths of time?
Can you wake baby up easily?

Theas18 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:35:04

Regardless of how she is, if you can't sleep you are so worried take her back. Trust your instincts.

Bronchiolitis in tinies is horrible, and worse in prems.

I really hope you are " making a fuss over nothing" better to find this, than you have a really poorly baby..... But get checked.

PurpleWithRed Thu 01-Jan-15 18:35:15

If she is struggling to breathe then call 999 or 111 at least; she is very little to be poorly like this.

cupofsneeze Thu 01-Jan-15 18:37:18

If you arnt happy please take her back.

My DD (prem) was already in our local hospital in an oxygen hood when she worsened on day 3 and was transferred to BCH because it got so serious so fast.

Trust your instincts.

Ineedacleaningfairy Thu 01-Jan-15 18:45:09

My ds had this at 5 weeks old, it was awful and terrifying.

He went down hill really quickly, one minute he was breathing a bit heavily but I just assumed it was normal for a newborn with a cold and the next minute he was turning blue and struggling to breath sad we stupidly drove the 20 minutes to hospital in our own car, we should have called an ambulance, when we got to that hospital they blue lighted him to a bigger hospital.

I would be really cautious about a tiny baby with any breathing difficulties and I don't think it's an over reaction to take a baby to a+e if they are showing any signs of breathing problems.

Practical things which helped were running the shower really hot and standing in the bathroom with him (not in the shower!) and propping up his cot with books, but to be honest we mostly took it in turns to hold him whilst he slept.

I hope your baby is better soonflowers

lotsofcheese Thu 01-Jan-15 18:46:16

My prem girl had this; our GP sent to A&E.

Their criteria for admission were:
- dry nappies (ie not feeding enough)
- saturations below 94% on monitor
- taking in less than 1/4 of usual feeds (I think, could be wrong on exact figure)

DD wasn't admitted, but it was a very close thing. She took a good week or so to get over it. I bought her into bed with me so I could check she was breathing ok; I was too scared to let her sleep alone in her cot in the next bedroom.

Hope your DD gets better; it's a frightening time.

PragmaticWench Thu 01-Jan-15 18:52:01

My eight week old was in hospital with this just before Christmas. He was 16 lbs at the time, so massive, but still really struggled.

They kept him in because he was breathing with his stomach as you described and became too exhausted to breast or bottle feed. The doctors tube fed him ebm for a while and he bounced back.

You should take him straight back if he still isn't breathing easily, or isn't feeding very well. Don't panic but do get him seen to.

PragmaticWench Thu 01-Jan-15 18:53:17

Apologies, take HER back, not him.

AuntieMaggie Thu 01-Jan-15 19:27:29

Please take him back. My ds (26weeks) had this over Christmas and they told us to go back if we were at all worried.

RoseberryTopping Thu 01-Jan-15 19:35:16

Both my boys have had this and been in hospital with it. With ds1 it was really bad as we'd been fobbed off by a doctor saying he was fine, we spent 2 weeks in hospital with him in an oxygen box.

Ds2 has just got over his now and only needed a week in hospital because we'd been more aware of the signs.

Is she still pulling in when breathing? Does her breathing look as if it's hard work for her? Can you hear a crackle in her lungs?
Please don't hesitate to take her back if the answer is yes to any of these or if she's hardly eating, especially in a prem baby x

Madlizzy Thu 01-Jan-15 19:38:43

Did the hospital give you open access to the ward? If so, ring them and tell them you're coming back in. If not and you're concerned, go to A&E. Bronchioitis/RSV is a bastard of a virus.

Ghostintheshell Thu 01-Jan-15 20:26:47

Poor you my dd had it a few times when she's was a baby. I spend many nights watching over her and Many nights in hospital . She ended up needing a feeding tube cos she's was so bad . Here's a few bits I did to try make her feel better open windows even if its cold she's needs fresh air wrap her up more if she gets to cold . And little feeds I used to always have a bottle ready for her takeing it small drops also if your worried take her back ASAP babies tend to go down hill fast even more so if they were prem.

Mumtobenovember Thu 01-Jan-15 22:02:07

She has slept all day since we have been home, she has only woken when being changed or bathed, her cough sounds painfully loud and raspy like it's taking her breath away and she is sucking in when breathing- not severely but she is doing it. She also keeps holding her breath I just don't know what to do I know I'm a worry wort

Sirzy Thu 01-Jan-15 22:05:05

Phone the ward and ask for advice.

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 01-Jan-15 22:11:32

Count her breaths per minute, if higher than 50 with sucking under her ribs or at the base of the throat then she needs to be seen again. They will fast track her admission as she has already been in especially as day 3 is the worst generally.

If less than 50 take her into the bathroom and run the shower or bath (plug in) on hot to build up steam. Half an hour in a steamy environment really helps. Put a damp towel on the radiator in her room. If she is struggling to feed then feed in the bathroom when steaming.

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:12:55

My 32 weeker had this at three weeks corrected. If you have any concerns re breathing, do not hesitate to take your baby to A&E or at least phone. It does tend to get worse before it gets better and I think day 4 is the peak of the illness. My LO ended up in NICU on humidified oxygen and narrowly escaped being ventilated. At its peak, she was also one drip because when their stomach is full, it compresses the lungs and makes breathing even more difficult for them. Good luck, I know how worrying this is, don't mess about if you think she is struggling.

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:15:49

Just seen the holding breath thing, I think you really need to speak to the ward ASAP.

PookBob Thu 01-Jan-15 22:16:16

If she has been asleep all day, phone 999. It is because she is working so hard at her breathing. I didn't call an ambulance and I was dangerously close to losing my daughter. She was on a ventilator in intensive care for a week. She was struggling so hard to breathe that she had a collapsed lung. Don't take any chances.

Wishing you all the best.

stressbucket1 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:18:31

Is she breathing faster than usual? I would say if you are not happy with her breathing take her back to be checked again.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 01-Jan-15 22:22:38

When ds2 was admitted (twice) with this, we had open access bCk to the ward for 24 hours following his d/c. Have you got this?

Count her respiratory rate (number of breaths in a minute), then call them. If not call 111

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 01-Jan-15 22:23:19

Apnoeas (missing breaths) and lower than average breaths per minute (less than 35 if awake) is a sign of respiratory distress, take her back in if this is happening.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 01-Jan-15 22:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ohdearitshappeningtome Thu 01-Jan-15 22:31:32

My lb was in hospital with this in November. We were seen on the assessment unit and then sent home. The next day I struggled to feed him so went back. We got taken straight to the ward. We were
Discharged at 830 am. Again that day he refused to feed so I took him back he ended up in hospital a total of 6 days. 48 hours tube fed and oxygen! He was so weak, sleepy and lethergic! Ended up rowing with the registrar as he wouldn't admit us for the second time. We were discharged home with a atrovent inhaler! I can use that when I see him struggled to breath. Today I had to use it on him. Apparently he's pronee to it no 3 was born at 36 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now