Talk

Advanced search

horrific nappy rash - canesten??

(28 Posts)
scaredoflabour Thu 01-Jan-15 16:51:31

Hi, not been on here for ages but got an extremely unhappy baby here.
DC3 (so you'd think I'd know) developed horrid nappy rash on boxing day, which I've been trying to treat with the usual creams (have a few types) but none have worked. I've given her loads of bare bum time but nothing id helping. It's so bad today I've had to give her calpol.
I'm now thinking it is probably thrush and was wondering whether a tiny amount of canesten might help? She's really quite beside herself.
Any advice gratefully received.

Hurr1cane Thu 01-Jan-15 16:56:50

Have you tried metanium?

scaredoflabour Thu 01-Jan-15 16:58:13

yes - made no difference sad

ilovepowerhoop Thu 01-Jan-15 17:00:34

metanium with a layer of sudocrem on top used to help when my 2 got nappy rash

BingBongMerrilyOnHigh Thu 01-Jan-15 17:00:42

Just to check - was it the yellow Metanium? As there is a white one too. If so, go to doctor, apparently there is more effective stuff available on prescription.

Poppins27 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:02:35

My Dd needed Steriod cream from the Dr's when metanium wouldn't touch a rash which worked quite quickly once prescribed. Heartbreaking isn't it bless them.

jimijack Thu 01-Jan-15 17:03:04

Canestan might sooth it. Just check packaging, there might be an age restriction on it.
I think that the various creams are only barrier creams rather than designed to "treat" nappy rash.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Poor little chick, it's awful to see isn't it .

scaredoflabour Thu 01-Jan-15 17:03:23

tried metanium and sudocrem and they didn't touch it, made it worse if anything.
yes it was the yellow one. just want to be able to help her now as obviously gp closed till Monday.

Poppins27 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:03:51

Dr also swore by zinc and castor oil cream when thrush had cleared up!

gotellitonthemountain Thu 01-Jan-15 17:05:29

Sounds fungal. I would try Canesten.

mdpis3 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:06:33

Two words: coconut oil

Antibacterial, anti fungal and anti-inflammatory.

Slather her in it and keep a towel under her as it grease stains everything but oh my does it work.

Hurr1cane Thu 01-Jan-15 17:06:39

How old is she? Do you have laminate and could give her some nappy free time on some towels or something?

StripedCandycaneOss Thu 01-Jan-15 17:07:00

Ask the chemist for conotrane, its an antiseptic barrier cream, its for nappy rash and bedsores and it soaks in to the skin to create a barrier, so there is no need to wipe it off like there is with sudocrem or metatanium.

I swear by it, dd used to get terrible nappy rash and I tried everything, conotrane was the only thing that worked

ilovepowerhoop Thu 01-Jan-15 17:08:46

I think the 1% canesten can be used for fungal nappy rash. you also get one with hydrocortisone added but don't know if that would need a prescription for that one

ruthsmumkath Thu 01-Jan-15 17:13:03

I used caniston on dd1 once and I literally could see it working! If metanium didn't work I'd go straight to caniston. Xx

BingBongMerrilyOnHigh Thu 01-Jan-15 17:16:58

I'd steer clear of Sudocrem, it gets really thick & is hard to get off. It also stops the skin breathing & prevents its own natural healing process. (IME)

NakedFamilyFightClub Thu 01-Jan-15 17:24:04

Cannesten cleared up my DS's horrific nappy rash. It was awful and we'd tried so many creams before the midwife recommended it.

ThePrincessWhoSatOnTheSprout Thu 01-Jan-15 17:29:50

We had to resort to Timodine (on prescription from doctors). It worked wonders very quickly. Highly recommend. Nappy off as much as possible to.

Ardha Thu 01-Jan-15 17:32:51

Definitely zinc and castor oil cream, never used anything else after using that.

shoofly Thu 01-Jan-15 17:42:53

Our local chemist sells a mix which is 50% yellow metanium and 50% conotrane. The conotrane seemed to make it easier to apply as I always thought metanium was very thick and hard to put onto a really bad bum. Hope it improves soon. Ds1 had some horrifically bad nappy rash and it's awful to watch a baby in pain. Ds2 rarely had any nappy rash - I think some kids just have it worse than others.

Allisgood1 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:51:11

Coconut oil smile

But I would try the canestan too. I used to use it on Dd and it worked.

123Jump Thu 01-Jan-15 18:00:24

Hi Scared, I have posted before about this, sorry if repeating!
When I nursed in surgical ward we had some severe cases of nappy rash in adults who come to us from ICU. They would be in agony, from thighs right up to the important bits!
The Tissue Viability Nurse was amazing, taught us all how to treat it effectively.
All of the creams mentioned are effective. We found Metanium best. The trick is how you use them, not what you use.
First, you need Johnson's Baby Oil, pour on cotton wool and clean the baby's bottom and sore areas.
Pat dry,or air dry.
Slather on Metanium, or whatever barrier cream you have. A really good layer.
Put on nappy.
You are not supposed to remove the cream, unless baby has pooped. So if changing wet nappy just take it off, add more cream if necessary and put on new nappy. No cleaning or wiping. Do this all the time until baby poops, again no need to wash it off. The creams will heal the rash, if left alone.
If baby has pooped use cotton wool and baby oil, not wipes or water. This will tear the skin, you'll see yourself that the oil just slides everything off.
Then repeat as from earlier, pat dry etc.
Barrier creams are supposed to be left on to act as a barrier from the wee, so no need to remove unless poop there.
Follow this and you'll see improvement within hours.
There can be a need for fungal creams, so you can check with your GP or treatment room nurse tomorrow if you feel necessary.
Good luck.

Bumpandbaby2014 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:07:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumpandbaby2014 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:08:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bellejessleo Thu 01-Jan-15 18:12:10

My dd had bad nappy rash which was due to thrush, doc prescribed timodine which did clear it quickly. I'm wondering whether a pharmacist will allow you to buy it over counter? I'm not sure though. Your poor little one, I hope it clears soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now