Talk

Advanced search

what do I feed her???

(6 Posts)
whewjuice Thu 01-Jan-15 12:57:54

Sorry if this goes on abit but I'm really confused. So DD is one year old, she still has 10 months + cereal for breakfast (mixed with whole milk) but I'm ashamed to say she mostly has 10 months + jarred food for most of her meals. I know this isn't good for her and she needs to be eating home cooked food but I really worry about what to give her. The times I have given her home cooked dinners she has just spat it all over the place. Health visitor just said to give her what we have but worry about the salt/sugar content in the food I make as I know that's bad for babies. I also get confused about preparing and freezing stuff as I worry about re heating it for her if it has meat etc in it. Any advice would be VERY welcome, thanks

WiggleGinger Thu 01-Jan-15 13:04:10

Don't worry just start simple

Give her veggies in individual portions so she gets used to each taste alone, then start to mix them after a few weeks.

Then give cooked pasta as a taste & mashed potatoes etc etc. Then eventually she will have tasted most component parts of many meals.

Steam (or boil) some carrots for lunch and mush a few up with a fork but keep some batons back, give her the baton to eat (play with) whilst you feed her the mush (you can always give her a spoon too)

Just have read of a weaning book and start as you mean to go on.

Don't worry.

FluffyRedSocks Thu 01-Jan-15 13:11:14

It's going to be hard to start off because a lot of the jars have fruit in them to 'disguise' the taste of the veg and the baby enjoys it because its sweet, I don't mean that as a criticism, but that is why your dd is spitting out your homemade efforts.

It can be fixed though, so don't worry! Children dont (very very rarely) starve themselves, it's going to be a rough week or so but personally id go cold turkey on the jars.

Dd eats what we eat, so tonight its Shephards pie, il make it with a baby stock cube, portion out hers, then add the gravy thickner (which is salty) to the remaining which is what we eat. When I do the mash il mash it with butter, portion off dds, then salt and pepper our portion that's left.

Il then leave it to cool, mix it together with a bit of water to loosen up the mash, and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Once frozen pop out and store in freezer bags.

When it comes to reheating, my dd (2yo) will have 6 ice cubes, I put it in a bowl, in the microwave (frozen) for 1 min, stir, 1 min, stir.. Keep going until it's bloody boiling ie- painful to touch! I loosen it again with a little more water (cold) which helps it cool down, leave for 5-10mins then feed!
It also means I've always got meals ready in the freezer if we arnt eating until later/ having a takeaway etc!

Pm me if you want smile

PurpleStripedSock Thu 01-Jan-15 13:26:24

There is probably more salt and sugar in the prepared baby food jars you are feeding her than anything you home cook. That being said, simply remove the salt from your recipes or portion off as advised above.

I found that most 'eating' experiences with my DD until about 14/15 months was her exploring the food. Not much of it was actually eaten.

Giving your baby food really shouldn't be a stress.

EmbarrassedPossessed Thu 01-Jan-15 17:41:08

Like previous posters have said, it can be kept very simple.

- use very low salt stock cubes when cooking.

- don't add salt to cooking.

Other than that, if you cook typical home cooked food you can't go far wrong. Sugar is only an issue for desserts/puddings which are fine in moderation, just not every meal every day.

There are lots of good cookbooks for babies/toddlers that could give you some inspiration - maybe have a look in your local library and see if there is one that appeals to you. My library has books like this next to the children's books.

Your DD may well initially reject the home cooked food as it will be very unfamiliar. She's had 6 months plus of smooth similar tasting food, so it will take a fair while to adjust this. So be prepared for having to persevere with it, don't be disheartened if a lot gets rejected to begin with. She will get there in the end.

NickyEds Thu 01-Jan-15 20:55:36

I do a lot of batch cooking for my one year old. I make shepherds Pie, Fish pie, spag Bol, chicken curry (Annabel Karmel does a good one), Veg Risotto, stew, pasta and broccoli bake, lasagne etc and freeze it in portions in little tupperware containers (I now have about half a million of these!). I also have mashed potato, sweet potato, carrot with turnip, red cabbage as side dishes. It's never really occurred to me to worry about reheating it!
I've never really got to grips with letting him whatever we're having as I'd have to cook our tea for 5 o clock -whilst he runs riot- and reheat it/keep it warm, but he has the same type of food as us. I just have maybe one big cooking day a month.
Don't worry too much about salt- just don't add it to anything and use low salt where you can, so baby stock cubes low salt butter, gravy, beans etc. As pp have said it may take a while to wean your dd off jars but try not to get too upset when it gets thrown on the floor. It's easier to take the throwing personally when you've made it yourself!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now