Talk

Advanced search

Sterilising bottles.....

(15 Posts)
polkadotdelight Thu 01-Jan-15 08:36:27

My second thread of the day. DS is nearly 14 weeks and pfb. I am suffering with pnd and anxiety. I tried to bf but gave up and DS is on formula. We have the perfect prep and make bottles as we need them in accordance with current guidelines. If I go out I take a flask of hot water and sterile bottles of boiled, cooled water to add to his bottles so they are ready immediately - initating the perfect prep machine. Sometimes in the morning I find it hard to co-ordinate getting myself, DS and going out stuff ready. Would it be bad if I sterilised the water bottles and filled them with cooled, boiled water the night before? I add formula to a sterile bottle, add hot water to mix then top up with the cool.

thinkingaboutthis Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:23

Sterilising the bottles isn't all that important so long as they're properly cleaned, so I wouldn't fret too much about it. In many countries they don't sterilise equipment at all. So long as you are preparing the powder properly that's the vital thing.

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Jan-15 08:40:56

The important thing is to add the powder to hot water in order to sterilise the powder.

LittleBearPad Thu 01-Jan-15 08:41:03

That will be fine

LadyintheRadiator Thu 01-Jan-15 09:05:05

The water has to be hot enough to kill any bacteria in the powder - as the powder is not sterile.

I know they are not cheap but could you use the pre-made cartons when out and about?

polkadotdelight Thu 01-Jan-15 09:08:57

DS is on lactose free milk at the moment which doesnt come ready made. I always use a 'hot shot' of hot water like the perfect prep does but topping up with cool is quicker than waiting for the bottle to cool.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 01-Jan-15 09:15:32

I've just re-read your post - you will be adding powder to the flask-hot water, and then topping up with cooled boiled water? I think that's fine anyway.

I was a stickler for rules with my DD when I couldn't BF her - but you know what, sometimes you just have to make life a bit easier for yourself. It is all hard enough as it is.

drspouse Thu 01-Jan-15 09:20:30

I would sterilise and use one bottle for hot and one for cold.
We make up about 2 or 3 bottles and keep them in the (temperature measured) fridge. We take a made up bottle and use a Frio drinks holder (which is good enough for insulin) for out and about. For DS we didn't have this but used an Avent carrier with a cool pack.

polkadotdelight Thu 01-Jan-15 09:27:45

Thats what I do lady and the health visitor is fine with it. I just wondered if I could sterilise and make up the boiled, cooled water bottle the night before. Im not brace enough to pre-prepare the bottles.

polkadotdelight Thu 01-Jan-15 16:07:47

bumping to see if there are any more views.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Thu 01-Jan-15 16:15:48

I'd sterilse and make the bottle up (I mean the bottle itself, not the formula), without any worry. If you wash your hands with antibacterial soap first and use the little plastic tongs that come with most sterilisers to build the bottle, then chances of contamination are pretty much zero.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 01-Jan-15 16:26:28

so you just want to do the cool boiled water in advance but will add the powder to hot water?

boiled water in the bottle would be ok for up to 24 hours if it is just for using to cool down the freshly made feed.

polkadotdelight Thu 01-Jan-15 16:38:27

Thats exactly what I mean ilove

Redling Thu 01-Jan-15 19:55:54

A made bottle of formula lasts 2 hours at room temp (WHO guidelines) so do you tend to go out for longer periods? Because when I only made short trips with DS I would make one on the perfect prep and take it out and he could drink it within 2 hours. I quite often get out and back within that time!

Redling Thu 01-Jan-15 19:58:02

But he is happy to drink room temp rather than warm. Not all babies are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now