Talk

Advanced search

baby clothes non-bio or bio

(12 Posts)
WhyOWhyWouldYou Tue 30-Dec-14 09:35:50

Seems like a daft question really but is it OK to use bio wash liquid on newborns baby clothes?

Last time, for DS, I used non-bio for everything once he was born but all my whites greyed and stains were harder to shift. By 3months in I was seriously pissed off with how rubbish non-bio was so gave up and switched back to Daz. So this time I was wanting to just carry on using Daz and skip non-bio alltogether.

When I googled it seems to suggest that bio / non-bio is a British thing and in other countries like america the sensitive ones seem to focus on purfume & dye free rather than the enzymes anyway. But an nhs web page said to use non-bio. What did you do?

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Dec-14 09:41:43

Even as an adult bio brings my out in a rash, so I have only ever used non bio for all the family, or soap flakes. My dc both had bad eczema from 6-12 months and DM washed DS's stuff in her bio during this time. It made his skin really flare up, so I have never, ever considered using it again. Both my babies reacted to Primark clothes as well!

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 10:24:08

Dp dsd and dd all have eczema so it's all non bio and the white fabric softners in this house

baby's skin is so very sensitive I wouldn't risk the harsh chemicals in bio

Lovelise Tue 30-Dec-14 10:48:19

Non bio all the way for us. We have sensitive skin and baby has eczema though so I wouldnt ever consider using bio.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 30-Dec-14 10:50:56

I only used non bio fir a couple of weeks (bounty free samples!) and we have used bio ever since. We have no skin issues

lljkk Tue 30-Dec-14 11:27:14

I think you have to try it & see. As a foreigner I blithely followed advice to avoid bio (for yrs). When I finally tried it, it was fine. Nobody in the family reacted, not even the babies. Handy since you can wash effectively at 30, saves energy & money.

CantBeBotheredThinking Tue 30-Dec-14 11:31:16

I would recommend trying it and seeing, If your dc has a problem go back to non bio if they don't you are fine. In my household it isn't a question of bio/non bio but the actual manufacturer that makes a difference one uses something that 1 dc is allergic to and they react to both bio and non bio.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Tue 30-Dec-14 11:36:31

It is a British thing. All baby clothes in Germany are washed in bio and everybody is fine.

lljkk Tue 30-Dec-14 11:40:05

I feel annoyed & cheated that I slavishly followed advice for so long that turned out not to be relevant to me & mine.

mrsminiverscharlady Tue 30-Dec-14 11:41:36

I actually think the chemicals in non-bio are harsher because they don't have the enzymes in that bio does. Baby dd had a horrendous reaction to fairy non bio. Once we switched to bio all was well. Used bio for subsequent babies with no problems. As you say, non bio is a UK thing - I imagine if there was a demand for it in other countries then in would be available in other countries which suggests babies elsewhere manage with bio!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 31-Dec-14 11:08:32

Thinking I might risk it - I hate decisions like this. Was talking to my mom too and she pointed out one of my brothers (the only person in the family with sensitive skin) reacts to a lot of non-bios but is fine with Daz or Surf bio and an non-bio eco one (ecover I think she said). So I think maybe what I found about other countries putting it down to purfumes and dyes in the washing liquid more than bio non-bio could be right.

I use a sensitive fabric conditioner anyway (can't stand the smell of others).

I can always rewash everything in something else if needed.

UngratefulMoo Wed 31-Dec-14 20:41:56

I got a rash after using Ecover non-bio, so I guess it all depends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now