Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

baby clothes non-bio or bio

(12 Posts)
WhyOWhyWouldYou Tue 30-Dec-14 09:35:50

Seems like a daft question really but is it OK to use bio wash liquid on newborns baby clothes?

Last time, for DS, I used non-bio for everything once he was born but all my whites greyed and stains were harder to shift. By 3months in I was seriously pissed off with how rubbish non-bio was so gave up and switched back to Daz. So this time I was wanting to just carry on using Daz and skip non-bio alltogether.

When I googled it seems to suggest that bio / non-bio is a British thing and in other countries like america the sensitive ones seem to focus on purfume & dye free rather than the enzymes anyway. But an nhs web page said to use non-bio. What did you do?

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Dec-14 09:41:43

Even as an adult bio brings my out in a rash, so I have only ever used non bio for all the family, or soap flakes. My dc both had bad eczema from 6-12 months and DM washed DS's stuff in her bio during this time. It made his skin really flare up, so I have never, ever considered using it again. Both my babies reacted to Primark clothes as well!

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 10:24:08

Dp dsd and dd all have eczema so it's all non bio and the white fabric softners in this house

baby's skin is so very sensitive I wouldn't risk the harsh chemicals in bio

Lovelise Tue 30-Dec-14 10:48:19

Non bio all the way for us. We have sensitive skin and baby has eczema though so I wouldnt ever consider using bio.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 30-Dec-14 10:50:56

I only used non bio fir a couple of weeks (bounty free samples!) and we have used bio ever since. We have no skin issues

lljkk Tue 30-Dec-14 11:27:14

I think you have to try it & see. As a foreigner I blithely followed advice to avoid bio (for yrs). When I finally tried it, it was fine. Nobody in the family reacted, not even the babies. Handy since you can wash effectively at 30, saves energy & money.

CantBeBotheredThinking Tue 30-Dec-14 11:31:16

I would recommend trying it and seeing, If your dc has a problem go back to non bio if they don't you are fine. In my household it isn't a question of bio/non bio but the actual manufacturer that makes a difference one uses something that 1 dc is allergic to and they react to both bio and non bio.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Tue 30-Dec-14 11:36:31

It is a British thing. All baby clothes in Germany are washed in bio and everybody is fine.

lljkk Tue 30-Dec-14 11:40:05

I feel annoyed & cheated that I slavishly followed advice for so long that turned out not to be relevant to me & mine.

mrsminiverscharlady Tue 30-Dec-14 11:41:36

I actually think the chemicals in non-bio are harsher because they don't have the enzymes in that bio does. Baby dd had a horrendous reaction to fairy non bio. Once we switched to bio all was well. Used bio for subsequent babies with no problems. As you say, non bio is a UK thing - I imagine if there was a demand for it in other countries then in would be available in other countries which suggests babies elsewhere manage with bio!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 31-Dec-14 11:08:32

Thinking I might risk it - I hate decisions like this. Was talking to my mom too and she pointed out one of my brothers (the only person in the family with sensitive skin) reacts to a lot of non-bios but is fine with Daz or Surf bio and an non-bio eco one (ecover I think she said). So I think maybe what I found about other countries putting it down to purfumes and dyes in the washing liquid more than bio non-bio could be right.

I use a sensitive fabric conditioner anyway (can't stand the smell of others).

I can always rewash everything in something else if needed.

UngratefulMoo Wed 31-Dec-14 20:41:56

I got a rash after using Ecover non-bio, so I guess it all depends!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: