Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dd's very curly hair

(20 Posts)
slushie Mon 29-Dec-14 18:32:00

Dd18mo has very tight curls. They end up very knotted and it's becoming a bit of a daily battle to brush her hair.
Any tips on what To use to make it easier?

Loobylou3 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:41:43

My dad has curly hair (not sure where it came from). We tend to spray with water and use a tangle teaser brush, then spray with water and use Afro comb to put bounce back in. Tried all sorts of curl/knot sprays but all seem to make her hair look lank and greasy! HTH

Loobylou3 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:41:56

Dd not dad!

KERALA1 Mon 29-Dec-14 18:45:25

Afro comb tangle teasers hopeless. Only comb through when wet put deep conditioner on and comb then. Only wash every 3 days at most. We are white but dds hair almost Afro so got my tips from Afro Caribbean people as the hair so different to mine!

TarkaTheOtter Mon 29-Dec-14 18:47:00

Yes, only comb when wet. We use a detangler spray and a tangle teaser

NinjaPanda34 Mon 29-Dec-14 19:06:02

I have to wash my very curly hair every day. 2in1 shampoo plus separate conditioner, comb through only when wet, never brush- it'll only make it frizzier! I use frizz-ease go curlier spray as a leave-in conditioner/ de-tangler then Charles Worthington curl creator creme, then dry over a low heat with a diffuser. Good luck and remember- never brush! smile

KERALA1 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:38:59

Ooh yes frizz ease creme that you put on dry hair is great

BellaVida Mon 29-Dec-14 20:41:17

I have a DD with v curly hair. Condition each wash, tangle teaser when wet, de-tangling spray other times.

Iggly Mon 29-Dec-14 20:41:59

Comb, never brush when wet with conditioner.

Do not use any products with silicone in - so rainforest body shop shampoo and conditioner. Stuff like fizz ease has silicone which gradually dulls and dries the hair out.

WiggleGinger Mon 29-Dec-14 20:42:08

I have naturally very curly hair.
Another Vote for no brushing only wide tooth bomb when wet.
Use leave in conditioner and only wash when truly needed. I go at least a week so child hair can go that long as it doesn't get greasy.
If its wild after a sleep consider plaits when wet and leave them in.
Yes to de tangling spray too.
You could also try the olive oil brand of Afro hair treatment I've seen it in boots recently.
Boots also do a curl cream its pink and in their essentials range in a pot, its cheap and good and really defines and separates the curl with lasting effects.
Hope this helps!

Curly Girl method. In a nutshell: use only silicone/paraben free conditioner to 'wash' her hair and finger comb only when covered in the conditioner. Rinse and add more conditioner, of which you rinse 1/2 - 3/4 out.
Google 'Curly Girl method', or if on FB, there's a great group called 'Curly Girls!' - lots of mums of small curly ones are there too.

Moxiechick Mon 05-Jan-15 12:19:13

My 17mo dd is mixed race and has very tight curls. I use dark and lovely beautiful beginnings shampoo once a week/fortnight depending on whether it needs it. After her bath when her hair is wet I use dark and lovely beautiful beginnings leave in conditioner and I comb through her hair with my fingers first and then a tangle tamer.
In the mornings I just do the water spray and the conditioner again. She has lovely knot free defined curls now but it did take a while to find products to suit.

SavoyCabbage Mon 05-Jan-15 12:23:55

Get her to wear a 'sleep bonnet'. You can get them from eBay, Amazon etc. They look like shower caps but they are fabric. I can't tell you the difference they have made to my dd's hair.

The first morning she got up after sleeping in one she said "all these years and all I needed was a hat!"

I make my own now from silk and bias binding.

Didactylos Mon 05-Jan-15 12:30:13

go Curly Girl as Dontforget said!
it will save both of you much misery and keep her hair in much better condition. its very different from a standard 'straight' hair regime
look at Britishcurlies site for help

Staywithme Mon 05-Jan-15 12:34:28

Was going to post, asking advice for my niece. She has lovely curly hair but when she first came to live with me, the poor wee soul ended up going to college looking like a Brillo pad. blush I've since learned not to brush it. grin She's 19 and has SN.

I put conditioner in it when it's dry, comb it through, wash it, little more conditioner then rinse. I then wrap a tee shirt around it until it's just damp then take it off. Apparently towels are bad for curly hair as they dry it too quickly and damage it. It's the only thing that makes it look good. The next morning I spray a little water in it and fluff it up. I'm going to get her a satin pillow case as I believe it's stops the hair from getting tats. I love u.tube. grin

MonstrousRatbag Mon 05-Jan-15 12:36:43

OP, is your daughter's hair long enough to plait? If you comb and plait it while damp just before bed, it is much easier to restyle in the morning.

er1507 Mon 05-Jan-15 23:01:41

My dd is 3. I have naturally curly hair and her dad has an afro. She didn't stand a chance bless her grin. I usually wash every 3 or 4 days. Shampoo, condition, rinse then condition and comb through with a tangle teaser and dry conditioner in. If I want her curls to look extra defined then I use a bit of boots own brand curl define cream. It's £1.50 and does the job. Any non wash days then I just spray down with conditioner and water in a spray bottle and comb through. There is absolutly no way I'd be able to spray it and finger comb her hair!

Quietattheback Mon 05-Jan-15 23:12:13

DD is two and has tight ringlets. I do the curly girl method with her hair and use a tangle teaser and a homemade detangler spray, which is a teaspoon of coconut oil, a squirt of non-silicone conditioner mixed with hot water and left to cool. A good shake before spraying and it leaves her with lovely defined curls.

Devora Mon 05-Jan-15 23:26:01

dd is 5 and half Caribbean. I brush with a tangle teezer, after spraying with very diluted conditioner in a spray bottle. Every week I wash it using Dark & Lovely shampoo - or sometimes no shampoo at all - followed by a heavy duty conditioner which I don't wash out. At all. Then I detangle using my fingers, followed by a comb or tangle teezer. I'll usually add oil or detangler at this point (there is no limit to the moisture her hair can absorb). Then I plait.

slushie Sun 11-Jan-15 21:36:45

I'd forgotten I'd posted this.

Thanks for the tips, will be trying some out. It isn't long enough to plat at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now