Talk

Advanced search

Calling all mums of children under 1 year old

(24 Posts)
luckiestgirlintheworld Mon 29-Dec-14 10:15:08

I want to make a present for my pregnant sister that gives a gift for every month under 1 year of her new baby.

But I can't remember what was suitable for each month!

So far, my ideas are...

Month 1:
Muslins, nipple cup, breast pads

Month 2:
A dummy

Month 3:

Month 4:

Month 5:
Teething toy and frozen teething ring

Month 6:
baby bowl/spoon/fast flow sippy cup/ Ella's

Month 7:
A ball and small balls (to encourage crawling)

Month 8:

Month 9:
Open the flap book

Month 10:
Pair of little shoes

Month 11:

Month 12:

What is your baby into and what age are they? Feel free to give ideas for months Iv already suggested- they're just the best I can think if so far.

Thanks

wheresthelight Mon 29-Dec-14 10:25:15

Aww what a lovely idea!!

how about some bath toys for month 3/4

board book for around month 11

highchair toys for 7/8

wheresthelight Mon 29-Dec-14 10:26:20

some pretty baby cutlery for month 12

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 29-Dec-14 10:28:06

Month 3:- Anbesol. My little boy us 11 weeks and we have just started putting this on his gums as he is starting to teethe but cant hold a teether yet.

Pointlessfan Mon 29-Dec-14 10:29:11

How about a pull along toy for month 11?
Clothing for month 4 as most of the gifts we got were 0-3 months.

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Mon 29-Dec-14 10:33:21

Month 8 music toys ?

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Mon 29-Dec-14 10:35:16

Month 3 /4 those sock with toys for when they find their feet or "socks on" to stop baby pulling off socks
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B4TXLDY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1419849282&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Elllimam Mon 29-Dec-14 10:49:12

Month 3 or 4 gummy glove?

mistymorningmemories Mon 29-Dec-14 10:59:22

Dd2 is 11mnths and has just started walking and non slip slippers/socks are very handy (tozies are great). Lovely idea but only thing that would worry me is that by getting things developmentally suitable for each month, if the baby doesn't do what the present is for during that month it may worry the mother? Ie dd2 only got her first tooth at 10months, dd1 didn't walk until 14months etc. Could you look at whst the seasons eould be and get apprporiate accessories i.e. sun hat/ sun cream /waterproofs etc in approptiate ages?

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 29-Dec-14 11:06:00

I wouldn't take a dummy unless you know she's in favour of using them, or only uses a particular brand.

Sock-Ons mentioned by a PP are great - they've been indispensable with both of mine from about three or four months as they can kick socks off in nothing flat.

wheresthelight Mon 29-Dec-14 12:07:31

gumigem necklaces are great as they are very pretty and safe for baby to chew. I got one for my sister Wheb she was pregnant and she and my niece love it

katandkits Mon 29-Dec-14 12:17:11

Lovely idea! Wouldn't include dummy or any breastfeeding paraphernalia as babies can be fussy about dummy brands and some people prefer not to use them at all. Month one should be treats for the mother, and perhaps giant muslins as they are very useful. One of those spiral toys for the pushchair or pram for 3 months? Bath toys also a nice idea perhaps for 6+ months when the baby can sit in the bath.

luckiestgirlintheworld Mon 29-Dec-14 16:21:48

Great ideas everyone. Thank you!

My sister is very un-neurotic so no worries about baby not hitting the appropriate stages (I will give all the presents at birth just with big labels on stating each month.)

SweetieTime Mon 29-Dec-14 19:45:08

3/4 months one of those survival blanket foil sheets (mine loved this to crinkle, I have pieces all around the house and in handbags and my changing bag, best £1 I ever spent) and some rattle bugs that attach around their wrists or ankles.
8 months a soft blanket comforter
11 months - 'That's not my' books
12 months dinner plate with different sections (M&S do animal ones)

weebigmamma Mon 29-Dec-14 20:14:29

Great idea! Mine is 8 months and the things we can't get enough of are bibs! He is a teething monster and I don't like those triangle bandana-style bibs as they don't fit round him properly. I like the soft bibs with velcro and we go through about 20 a day- blurgh- he is so dribbly!

Also- my wee one got a cool present for Christmas which was a wee plastic monkey in a toy car from Early Learning Centre. It is called Monty Monkey and His Car and it's £10 but he really likes it so I went on their website today and bought him some more of the figures (they're called 'Toy Box' and they include a giraffe, a spaceman, a kitty etc). In the Christmas sale some of them are down to £2.

MrsTawdry Mon 29-Dec-14 20:16:11

Give her some wine, a large bar of chocolate per day and a packet of fags.

eurochick Mon 29-Dec-14 20:34:21

For 3 or 4 months, those little black and white books.

ch1134 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:47:14

But they all do such different things at different ages... I am so unsentimental but a better gift for me would be a £5 voucher for mothercare each month so I could choose something I knew I'd use....

callamia Mon 29-Dec-14 20:52:53

3 or 4, cloth books or buggy books, or waterproof books for the bath!

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Tue 30-Dec-14 08:12:58

Ohh yes sun hat with a tie and a winter hat with a Velcro fastening under the chin for the appropriate seasons - these are hard to buy in shops but so much better than ones baby can pull off. I think Jojo maman bebe might do them

luckiestgirlintheworld Tue 30-Dec-14 08:42:37

Tawdry- she's giving up smoking, but wine and chocolate are noted.

ch1134- no worries- she'll get all the presents at birth so it doesn't matter if baby hasn't reached each stage by each month.

Really impressed by all the ideas.

ElleDubloo Wed 31-Dec-14 16:13:46

My LO is 2 months now, and her favourite thing in the world is her musical cot mobile (approx £12 from mothercare). She giggles and squeals and kicks when it's on. Seriously, she's happier when she sees it than when she sees me.

lindauk5 Sun 04-Jan-15 21:36:30

The best thing I had for me when my daughter was born was a Contingo (I think) no spill thermos. Meant my coffee actually stayed hot and I ran zero risk of spilling it on her when BF.

A foam mirror would be good for about 7 months my LG loves sitting up holding it staring at herself!

Vilette Wed 07-Jan-15 21:33:26

A mobile would be great for month 2 - my baby is 2 months and suddenly a mobile is her favourite thing. Or a toy that hangs in the pram. Month 3 something baby can grab (just getting good at holding stuff) a ring toy or Sophie giraffe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now