Talk

Advanced search

how long can.I keep a pre mixed bottle of formula?

(28 Posts)
silverandblack Sun 28-Dec-14 08:04:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 28-Dec-14 08:08:41

If it isn't possible to make fresh, eh when out for the day, a bottle should be made, cooled immediately and put in the fridge for up to 4hrs NOT kept at room temperature.

reallystuckonthisone Sun 28-Dec-14 08:08:48

Don't know what current guidelines are but 2 years ago the longest time out of the fridge should be 2 hours. 1 hour if it has already been drunk from. I do know people who have done the same as you, without any ill effects though.

silverandblack Sun 28-Dec-14 08:20:14

GingerDoodle Sun 28-Dec-14 18:13:44

Im certain what I did would be frowned upon but. I used the ready made bottles and cartons. If I was using a big bottle of ready made I would make up a bottle and then stick it in a cold bag with an ice block. Then take the chill off by sitting in boiling water.

Now DD is much old and on cows milk (she's 2.2) I make up a sippy cup an leave it to warm up at room temp in case she wakes in the night (fairly recent thing as she never used to want milk)

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 28-Dec-14 18:20:03

Yes no longer than 2 hours after it's made. I BF til 6 months but after that used to take up sterilised bottles and a couple of the small ready made bottles of aptamil. I don't think this would work for a newborn though (too much expense and waste!) as they feed so little and often.

stressbucket1 Sun 28-Dec-14 19:58:07

I used to take a sterilised bottle plus a ready made carton up for my dd when she was new born but just put a couple of ounces in the bottle when she was ready then pop downstairs to put the rest in the fridge yo use the next day

loafofbread Sun 28-Dec-14 20:39:36

The ready made shop bought bottles are brilliant for night time feeds. We take 3 up to bed with us, along with 3 sterilised bottles, a flask of boiling water and a jug. That way we know we're safe. We then warm the milk in the jug for a couple of minutes after tipping into the bottle and feed.

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Sun 28-Dec-14 20:46:14

I wouldn't do it at 6 days old and I am pretty lax. I'd use the cartons for nighttime minimum fuss for now. I started making up the bottles overnight around 12 weeks and it was winter and cold in the bedroom

fuckwitteryskitchenisfucked Sun 28-Dec-14 20:46:24

But obviously not recommended

AndThisIsTrue Sun 28-Dec-14 21:47:50

I used to do this but put it in one of those zip up cool bag things. I also used to make bottles up and store them in the fridge and just go down and replace it with a new one so no making bottles during the night. D S used to have a feed every 2-3 hours at that age so I think that's ok.

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 28-Dec-14 22:01:27

would use something like this

thinkingaboutthis Sun 28-Dec-14 22:03:41

I wouldn't risk it with a newborn either, I'd use cartons.

Hobby2014 Sun 28-Dec-14 22:07:49

God no I wouldn't do this.
Ds is 4.5months.
I'll make them and put in fridge (used within 24hours) but left out only 2 hours then discard.
Just buy pre-made cartons and take a sterilised bottle to bed or make ahead and leave in fridge and when they wake up get from fridge and then warm up if they'd wait for that.

silverandblack Sun 28-Dec-14 22:20:09

Hobby2014 Sun 28-Dec-14 23:02:08

How often is baby waking in the night?
Ds only wakes up once at the mo, so 70p a night for me to not have to leave my bed (sleeping in cot with side off next to me at night).
I've found other things to cut back on coz my sleep is more important to me than day branded crisps or running a super deep bath or whatever.
I'm assuming at 6 days old baby may wake up more, but even if you only did it on one feed, just means you'll get back to sleep quicker and have better sleep.

silverandblack Sun 28-Dec-14 23:08:16

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 28-Dec-14 23:10:52

I pre make and take them to bed with me. Did it for dd and do it now with ds.

FATEdestiny Sun 28-Dec-14 23:37:11

Interesting to compare the formula milk recommendations to expressed breastmilk.

According to the Breastfeeding Network, breastmilk will keep for 6 hours without refrigeration (for example if you express milk whilst away from baby and without fridge).

So how come breastmilk is OK out of the fridge, but formula isn't?

thinkingaboutthis Sun 28-Dec-14 23:44:30

FATE, the main problem with powdered milk is that it isn't sterile and can become contaminated with bacteria during manufacturing. Breastmilk is a living substance with antibacterial properties.

halloweensquish Mon 29-Dec-14 07:33:47

We have formul sometimes at night too - what we have done is put the boiled water into the sterile bottles and the correct amount of formula into a small sterile container and brought bother up to bed, when she wants a feed I just add the formula to the bottle and bobs your uncle, fresh formula feed gringringrin

Tealady1983 Mon 29-Dec-14 08:05:08

We did this all the time still do terrible sleeper even though she is now 1! with both of mine. The eldest is 6 and perfectly fine. Most of family did it too. Anything for a easy life in the early days grin

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 29-Dec-14 08:21:41

tealady the powder should be added to water at 70c to kill bugs, adding it to cold boiled water won't do that and is not within guidelines.

Tealady1983 Mon 29-Dec-14 08:25:39

I don't add it it cold boiled water but thanks for presuming wink

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 29-Dec-14 08:43:35

Sorry! i meant halloween, just clearly far too early for a functional brain this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now