Talk

Advanced search

do you have to wind a ff baby after every feed?

(16 Posts)
silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 17:47:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngieBolen Sat 27-Dec-14 18:10:30

I would.

Some say you have to wind all babies after a feed, but my bf babies didn't need it.

I've fed lots of babies which aren't mine, genes my answer, but you'll get to know your baby, and what they need.smile

Pastmyduedate0208 Sat 27-Dec-14 20:33:26

It depends on the baby. If he/she starts squirming around alot after feeding, or cries, or generally seems uncomfortable then they def need burping. Some babies are fine.

Singsongmama Sat 27-Dec-14 20:36:02

I'd give any baby an opportunity to burp after a meal, better out than in!

insancerre Sat 27-Dec-14 20:40:02

I always did with.mine
Half way through sometimes, not just at the end

drspouse Sat 27-Dec-14 20:45:26

Some will wind themselves (DD burps and snores like a docker on fizzy beer) but generally younger babies will burp after or during most feeds. DS was more subtle and sometimes you had to listen hard but it also helped him take more at each feed hence his lump like shape

silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 21:44:54

drspouse Sat 27-Dec-14 21:54:41

How old, and how do you wind her?
You can probably be a LOT more violent than you think. This is as per the nurses in the hospital!
But if she feeds well and seems comfortable, she's probably fine.

silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 22:00:58

silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 22:09:15

kitkat321 Sun 28-Dec-14 00:49:50

Yes! I also burp baby half way through - I can always tell when she has wind as she gets all squirmy and stops taking the bottle and her lower and upper lips go a bit white.

Giraffeseyelashes Sun 28-Dec-14 01:11:49

I burped my two (mix-fed) until about 6 months when they could sit. At that point they didn't need it anymore (not sure why but I read it somewhere and it worked out that way for me). For DD1, I didn't think to burp her at first but my mum suggested it after about a week and it seemed to make her much more comfortable. At first the burps were little and hard to prise out but in time they became louder and easier. Mine were both farters too but needed the burping as well!

fatterface Sun 28-Dec-14 01:14:26

If she doesn't burp then she probably doesn't need winding. I wouldn't bother unless you/she enjoys it.

drspouse Sun 28-Dec-14 09:28:12

Yes the nurses also said sit on lap, not over shoulder. DS had a mild problem with turning slightly blue and you can't see their faces over your shoulder.
DD however burps herself when you put her in shoulder burp position to go in the sling. She is now 7 months but not sitting yet, but I don't bother burping her any more unless she is really uncomfy after a feed.

wheresthelight Sun 28-Dec-14 15:27:15

My dd was also ff and a farter rather than burper!!

I did find that having her sat on my knee and lent slightly forward and then placing my palm in the small of her back and pushing up her spine whilst moving her to sit upright was the most effective way.

being "rough" to wind always seemed to be a bit too barbaric for my liking

Pastmyduedate0208 Sun 28-Dec-14 16:11:53

I hate having to burp mine. Especially during the night, he'll go all floppy and cozy finishing his milk, then having to rough him right up to burp just seems so wrong!
I do it anyway because he gets 'colicky'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now