Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Festive blues

(11 Posts)
satsumagirl Sat 27-Dec-14 10:40:38

I was due to see my best friend today. We live 100s of miles apart and due to childcare and geographical distance I haven't spent any one to one time with her in years.

Finally due to catch up with her today and now DH has man flu and I have to stay at home and look after our 2 and. 4 year old. He has quite frequent man flu when he is grumpy, accuses me of not being nice to him, and seems to expect me to wait on him whilst working full time and running around after our two young children. I am so gutted about not catching up erg my friend today as she has had a horrific time with a few things over last year and I was really keen to catch up with her in person and support her. DH wasn't especially sympathetic and said that 'you can talk to her on the phone'. and 'I'm not being ill on purpose.' We don't have family nearby so they can't help. Sitting here crying. Sorry to vent.

EmbarrassedPossessed Sat 27-Dec-14 10:44:59

Is it too late to take your 2 and 4 yr old with you to see your friend? Not ideal, but maybe better than not seeing her at all?

LIZS Sat 27-Dec-14 10:47:55

What normally happens if you are ill? Does the world stop and he step in or do you have to soldier on? Tbh unless he needs nursing care I 'd still leave him to it but maybe come home early.

satsumagirl Sat 27-Dec-14 10:51:04

Hi Embarrassed. Would love to but it involves long journey on public transport that is pretty tricky with two little ones. Thank for the suggestion though.

satsumagirl Sat 27-Dec-14 10:53:19

LiZS- when I am ill there is no Plan B. I just get on with it. I've done my best to help him today and he repays me by being cold. Sitting here in tears. He is nice at other times.

EmbarrassedPossessed Sat 27-Dec-14 11:15:03

I'd be sorely tempted to leave him to it with the kids today, if he expects you to do the same when you're ill!

satsumagirl Sat 27-Dec-14 18:13:00

I wish I could but there would be an almighty row!

Am I the only person with a DH who has recurrent man flu?

Galvanized Sat 27-Dec-14 18:17:46

Yes. If my DH had "man flu" as you describe it (ie not seriously ill) then he'd never ask me to change my plans, he'd just have a quiet day in with our child instead of being super dad, making sure he recuperated.

satsumagirl Sat 27-Dec-14 21:05:00

I'm so angry with his selfish behaviour. Why does he expect the red carpet treatment when he is ill?i get very little support when I am poorly and in fact I just like to soldier on anyway. He needs to man up

LIZS Sat 27-Dec-14 21:07:04

Yes he does, but he won't if he doesn't have to. You need to make a stand.

satsumagirl Sat 27-Dec-14 21:49:10

How do you think I should go about that LiZs? Have tried in past and he just becomes very cold and defensive and says I am 'not being sympathetic. '

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now