Talk

Advanced search

is it normal for a newborn to sleep for so Long?

(14 Posts)
silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 05:32:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purplemurple1 Fri 26-Dec-14 05:36:51

Congratulations,

The general advice is to feed on demand unless they aren't gaining weight, or have jaundice. It sounds pretty normal though. I wouldn't expect feeds to naturally settle to 3hourly until after a few weeks at least. We were told to put ours on a 3 hr schedule at 10 day's due to weight loss ans jaundice but this isn't normal advice for a healthy baby and took a lot of effort.

purplemurple1 Fri 26-Dec-14 05:38:08

I've assumed your talking about a 4 hr gap rather than 16 hrs.

icklekid Fri 26-Dec-14 05:39:07

Very normal to feed more in the eve- she may go through growth spurts and start cluster feeding which will be even more frequent. Try and feed on demand as pp said rather than on schedule for now fsmile

silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 05:44:26

silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 05:45:33

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 26-Dec-14 05:54:10

I'd leave her. The books say newborns sleep about 16 hours a day. If she's gaining weight I wouldn't worry. fsmileCongratulations on your baby. flowers

silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 05:54:41

LowLieTheFields Fri 26-Dec-14 06:18:53

Yes I'd leave her. I remember stressing about the same thing and goibg to the gp. She hid her bemusement well but basically told me to lap it up!

As long as they are weeing and pooing and seen generally well it's fine. They need alot of sleep. You'll start to see the time theyre awake slowly increase and soon be looking back wishing you had a newborn again.....

Fairylea Fri 26-Dec-14 07:16:34

Very normal.

I ff both my dc and fed on demand. I must have been lucky but both decided at around the 6-8 week mark to start sleeping through from about 7-7 ish and prior to that had very long periods at night without waking for a feed. I just went with the flow and offered a feed whenever they woke.

CocobearSqueeze Fri 26-Dec-14 15:34:33

I do every 3 hrs and I do wake her up for now as she's only a few days old. If she wants more after 2 hours then that's what she gets.

WhyNotSmile Fri 26-Dec-14 22:28:03

When he was newborn, my DS would have slept for 6-7 hours at a time if he could have. He had slow weight gain, so we were supposed to feed him every 3 hours. I asked the health visitor and she said that he would be ok to go for 4-4.5 hours on the odd occasion, but no more than that. When you get a chance, it could be worth talking to your HV to see what she recommends in your DD's case, based on her weight gain etc.

Pregnantagain7 Sat 27-Dec-14 22:53:28

My dc3 was like this he would sleep for England he was on four hourly feeds from birth and would sleep through the night from about 8 weeks (11-7)
He was big born 10lb8 and ff the midwife said both of these things made him more likely to sleep for longer periods.

kitkat321 Sun 28-Dec-14 00:48:39

I envy you - we sometimes only get an hour and a half between feeds.

We feed on demand so I'd say as long as she's gaining weight and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies you are fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now