Talk

Advanced search

advice needed - 16 month dd has started biting

(6 Posts)
wheresthelight Tue 23-Dec-14 21:17:21

dd is pfb so hoping for some suggestions on how to tackle her current behaviour please!

on Friday we went out for dinner with 4 friends and their kids, 3 are around the same age as dd and 1 is 5 months younger. dd and the youngest (A) were in highchairs next to each other when A reached over and was grabbing at dd - she is younger but stockier and weighs more than dd so has some force when grabbing etc. as a retaliation when she couldn't get free dd bit A. I felt awful, told dd off and both myself and A's mum made a big fuss of A and ignored dd. A's mum was and is fine about it all and appreciates that dd is 16 months and doesn't really understand why what she has done is wrong.

dd then did it again yesterday to me when I had hold of her in a restaurant when she wanted to run riot. I yelped and looked sad at her and said that she had been naughty and we don't bite.

but how the hell do I stop this?? any ideas peeps?

SavoyCabbage Tue 23-Dec-14 21:22:08

Just say 'no' very firmly and remove her if necessary.

I remember being all uppity about a biter at playgroup with my pfb, not realising that it was a stage that a lot of dc go through. And a few months later my dd was the biter at playgroup that the others were avoiding. It's just a phase.

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Tue 23-Dec-14 21:22:24

It's a phase, it wears off.

It is a nightmare during though.

We used to touch the child's mouth and say 'no biting!' quite sharply. It did require a lot of repetition. In our case they only bit me though.

It did seen to be caused by frustration and stopped immediately they could start to speak.

You'll have to watch like a hawke while your wee one is around other children until she gets the message.,

wheresthelight Tue 23-Dec-14 21:26:11

so not much more I can do than I already am then sad

physically she is much more advanced than the kids of my friends. the other 3 are all within 6 weeks of dd's age but have either only just started cruising or are still not walking at all. dd walked at 9 months and I think part of it is the frustration for her. especially when A had hold of her. she had finger marks on her arm from A so I can understand why she she was ready to do anything to escape! just devastating when it's your kid doing the biting!! I was properly mortifies!

SavoyCabbage Tue 23-Dec-14 21:29:38

The other parents will be pacified by seeing that you are doing something about it. She will stop soon and someone else will be doing it and you will be able to pass on your top tips on stopping them.

wheresthelight Tue 23-Dec-14 21:32:27

there is that I suppose savoy!

I am quite strict with her so they do know I would never just ignore it and I asked everyone to just ignore her cries for attention after I had told her off when she bit A and they were all great about it which was nice especially as I wouldn't have blamed A's mum for being livid!

just hope she grows out of it fast

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now