Talk

Advanced search

For those of you with 3 dcs:

(15 Posts)
Molotov Mon 22-Dec-14 19:19:27

Did having your dc3 make some sort of equilibrium between your eldest 2 children?

My 2 dds (age 5.10yo and 2.8yo) mostly get along nicely, but there is conflict - I think that I am noticing the beginning of sibling rivalry.

I'm an only child. I'm also on the brink of ttc dc3 after a year of deliberating. Please talk to me!

BertieBotts Mon 22-Dec-14 19:21:59

I don't have 3dc but some conflict between siblings is normal surely?? I mean living in close quarters with anybody is annoying, when you're both immature (ie, children) then it's going to come to blows occasionally.

I don't think the presence of a third will make any difference, apart from giving them someone else to fall out with/gang up on!

ClariceBeanthatsme Mon 22-Dec-14 19:26:11

Oh molotov have you almost made a decision?! smile

tilder Mon 22-Dec-14 19:28:15

I wouldn't have a third to resolve conflicts between children. It won't. Siblings always bicker but watching our kids is wonderful. I would say the benefits for them far outweigh the bickering, however irritating.

Have a third because you want a third child. Having 3 is brilliant. Hard work but well worth it. Extra car, bedroom, etc requirements etc and all.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 22-Dec-14 19:29:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anothernumberone Mon 22-Dec-14 19:31:17

No it definitely did not resolve conflicts in our case. Dd1 and Dd2 were 6 and 3 when ds came along. He is a total cutie rampant tear away who pulls our house asunder and draws on anything that does not move out of his way and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Iggly Mon 22-Dec-14 19:32:30

Conflict and rivalry is normal! You just need to watch if it is healthy or not. (I have siblings). Sometimes it is hard to watch but I remember being the same with my brother as my two are. One minute hating, another fighting.

The main thing as parents are to not take sides and help them resolve conflicts. Oh and be a common enemy.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 22-Dec-14 23:52:44

Jojay Mon 22-Dec-14 23:59:28

We went for no 3 and very unexpectedly got twins.

Just sayin' wink

spinduchess Tue 23-Dec-14 00:07:29

All a third will do is add another voice to the fighting. It doesn't go away, siblings bicker. That is normal and healthy - you learn conflict resolution skills with your siblings.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Tue 23-Dec-14 00:08:03

no.
ds and dd1 got on alright. Once dd2 came along he dotes on dd2 and is horrible to dd1. No idea why really, except she is too close in age, and it is easier with much younger one.

I love having 3 though, much more interesting dynamic than 2, never a dull moment.

ShadowKat Tue 23-Dec-14 00:20:23

I'm one of 3 and there was bickering and rivalry between all 3 of us at times. It just means more possible combinations when it comes to siblings falling out or ganging up against each other. It certainly didn't mean that the oldest 2 out of 3 of us were magically friends all the time.

sleepywombat Tue 23-Dec-14 00:30:03

LowLieTheFields Tue 23-Dec-14 05:58:25

I don't think there's an answer to that, it depends on the individual children. It's early days for me (4yo, 2yo and 6mo). It certainly hasn't stopped the older two fighting but it is lovely to see them start having a relationship with the baby.

Molotov Tue 23-Dec-14 11:22:51

I posted this in _chat, too, and am a bit blush that people recognise me from these threads I've been starting over the past year A YEAR! And still undecided

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now