Talk

Advanced search

Baby sign language for perma-whingy 8 month old?!

(8 Posts)
weebigmamma Sun 21-Dec-14 08:57:10

My 8 month old is constantly whining and it is really starting to get me down. I know he is teething (we also have much drooling and biting- he has the bottom two teeth but I think there must be more on the way) and he has also had a cold lately and he's trying to crawl and all of this is very frustrating for him. He has started waking in the nights again for milk and just being a general grump. So knackered!! We're thinking of trying to teach him a few signs so that maybe he can communicate his needs during the day at least. Anyone else do this? I'm thinking a handful of simple signs like 'more food' or 'milk'. Would love any suggestions/advice. Thanks!

Littlef00t Sun 21-Dec-14 09:09:07

I'm doing sign with my 9 mo, so I obviously think it's a good idea. Just be aware chances are it will take a couple of months before he understands the signs and more before he starts signing back.

I'm in it for the long haul. A friends baby at 1 can do a couple and understands several, but family were doing it from before 6 mo.

Littlef00t Sun 21-Dec-14 09:10:57

I'm doing more, finished, food, change, sleep, mummy, daddy for now.

RoganJosh Sun 21-Dec-14 09:11:19

I just did 'milk' and 'eat' which was very worthwhile. You could just youtube a few that you think would be useful.

kicker Sun 21-Dec-14 09:13:52

I taught mine the milk sign but at an earlier stage. Clenched fist opening and closing (milking an imaginary udder). They used it a lot while they were pre verbal. I think I taught it a bit earlier though. I also taught them "I love you", which we still do after 10 years. It's like our secret sign. Baby masonssmile. Do it, but don't get too hung up about it. Repetition is the key and the right context. Have a bottle or boob ready, do the sign and proceed. The I love you was easy. Did the sign and smothered them with kisses and cuddles. They catch on so quickly. Enjoy

Thegoosenotthegander Sun 21-Dec-14 09:17:59

My ds only started signing at the same time his words starting coming through. However, he LOVED the baby sign video. So sticking that on stopped the grumps, as did me singing the songs to him!

weebigmamma Sun 21-Dec-14 12:00:54

Thanks everyone! I will definitely give it a go and I love the idea of having a sign for 'I love you'. x

minipie Sun 21-Dec-14 14:24:30

I started baby signing at about that age. DD wasn't interested though, we never really got anywhere with it as she was always looking somewhere else and was more interested in trying to crawl, babble or point. She started pulling up at about 8 months and crawling at 9 and got much happier the more mobile she was.

In all honesty my view is it's only worthwhile if you start at 6 months or earlier, and/or have the sort of baby who will actually look at your hands (!) - all depends on the child I guess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now