Talk

Advanced search

How old to understand a sequence of events?

(5 Posts)
trilbydoll Sat 20-Dec-14 15:33:21

DD is 19mo and this morning wanted to go downstairs for breakfast. I tried saying we would change her nappy first then go downstairs and she just fixated on breakfast and repeated it over and over again.

When we went back upstairs, she couldn't cope with me cleaning up her (now dirty) nappy before getting in the bath, she just wanted to get straight in.

Am I expecting too much, is she too young to grasp a simple sequence of 2 events?

Quodlibet Sat 20-Dec-14 15:36:04

I'm sure she does understand sequences of events (wonder weeks says that starts happening before a year) but maybe she is at an age where understanding that what she wants to happen and what needs to happen might not always correspond?!

trilbydoll Sat 20-Dec-14 20:28:40

Yes, maybe she understands me full well but is just focussing on what she wants right now! I am not a natural with toddlers, give me a newborn any day grin

Iggly Sat 20-Dec-14 21:24:31

Perhaps less of the discussion. If she wants breakfast, talk about breakfast and say yes while changing her nappy. Distraction can work well at this age.

It is sometimes about acknowledging you know what they want then negotiating. They are stubborn buggers though!

purplemurple1 Mon 22-Dec-14 11:41:19

I'm also finding having the same routine helps, so we get up, milk, breakfast, dressed everydday - so we don't need to discuss / decide as that is just the order these things happen and DS is learning that.

Now just need to teach him that him wrapping his coat around his neck and carrying his shoes will not always mean we are going outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now