Talk

Advanced search

Newborn and older sibling

(6 Posts)
Vijac Fri 19-Dec-14 21:50:43

If you have a newborn and an older child, how much does your partner (working full time) do with the kids and around the house? Also, how much emotional support/empathy do they give you?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 19-Dec-14 22:07:38

tons! I have a 3yo and a 6mo. today I have cleaned the kitchen three times after various meals and snacks and done two lots of washing. I have dealt with a fall down the stairs,a tantrum in the park because the swing was covered in bird poo, an unexpected breastfeed in the library and a poonami.

so right now my dh is tidying up after dinner (which I cooked) and I am watching TV and eating biscuits on the sofa. he had already spent 30 mins rubbing my feet. he works full time but he thinks I have it tougher!!!

on weekends we generally split everything 50/50 but dh tries to make sure I get an hour to myself which I really appreciate.

Vijac Fri 19-Dec-14 22:18:32

shock Wow, 30 minutes foot rub, he sounds like a keeper, I am jealous!

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 19-Dec-14 22:27:09

today was tougher than normal!! sometimes we have amazing days where both DC are in sync and happy and we have a lot of fun. then dh gets to sit on the sofa and eat biscuits and I look after him!

Limpetsmum Fri 19-Dec-14 23:15:35

I never got a foot rub!
I had similar questions when I had my second! I did all the Childcare other than the hour my husband would be home before kids bedtime when we would bathe/sleep routine kids together. I would do all the nights as well (but I was breast feeding). Having said that my husband took responsibility for our toddler if he woke overnight. I actually learnt to tune out to his cry and would sleep thru my toddlers cry but wake for the newborns!
At the weekend I would get a bit of a lie in /nap midday.
It's difficult for blokes as well and I viewed it that my husband needed to function at work and so I took on the lions share.
However, he did help with meals/washing etc.
the best £16/week we spent was getting a cleaner every week. Cut out a number of arguments we were otherwise having! If you're able to, it is my biggest recommendation for any sleep deprived household!

Vijac Fri 19-Dec-14 23:25:55

Limpets that sounds more like us! Apart from I don't get a lot of help with cooking/washing. Though he now does his own washing. He says he's happy with easy meals-ready meals etc and even gets cross if I do something a bit time consuming. But I do want myself and my toddler to be eating fresh, healthy meals!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now