Talk

Advanced search

cant cope with the screaming!

(7 Posts)
gemmatommo Thu 18-Dec-14 20:22:38

My 2 year old Has developed crazed screaming when she doesn't get her own way. She doesn't do it for her dad just me. It's worse at bed time where it can go on for hours. I know this is normal for a two year old but I just can't handle it. I get so angry with her and feel like pulling her head off! I've tried ignoring it , being nice to her, shouting at her , talking to her, singing , distracting but nothing works. I'm on the verge of losing it. How do you cope

Madjackmcvitae Thu 18-Dec-14 20:25:43

I share your pain and look forward to any suggestions. Not much help but your not alone.

Mummify Thu 18-Dec-14 20:26:35

There is a lot of screaming in our house! What works for me is talking to her in an extremely quiet voice, about why she should stop, what we are doing later, what we did earlier etc - this seems to have a pretty good success rate. I think she wants to hear what I'm saying and has to be quiet to hear it!!! Good luck x

Quitelikely Thu 18-Dec-14 20:31:23

In all seriousness turn the hoover on downstairs. It works, or put a hair dryer on.

They think you can no longer hear them! Mine do.......

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Dec-14 20:31:31

Hmm. Why doesn't she do this for dad? How does he handle it differently?

gemmatommo Thu 18-Dec-14 21:22:37

Thanks guys some good suggestions to try. No idea why dad gets away with it. All he has to do it tell her to stop and she does. SOooo frustrating

LuckyCornish13 Sun 21-Dec-14 19:14:21

I have a just turned 3 year old and I'm now coming out of this stage (thank god!!)

My then 2 year old son would scream and scream and scream. Didn't matter where we were, what we were doing, if I told him no, he would throw himself on the floor, roll, kick, scream, shout, bite, punch etc.. I tried everything (bribing, shouting, walking away)

The only thing that worked for me? Ignore it. Completely ignore it. If we were home, I'd put him in his room, tell him he could come out when he could behave and walk out (child gate on) it took weeks and weeks because I, stupidly, wasn't consistent to begin with; I'd give in after a few minutes, or shout.

It was horrible to hear him so distressed, sometimes he'd cry so hard he'd retch but he quickly realised his behaviour was totally inappropriate.

It might seem harsh to some but a few months later and he's like a completely different child! I would even avoid going out in case he kicked off.

Please don't give up or lose hope, I was exactly where you are and never, ever thought I'd get through it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now