Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

my kids are so bloody rude!

(7 Posts)
losenotloose Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:55

what am I doing wrong? I'm shocked at just how rude and obnoxious they can be. dh and I are nice people, rarely argue, never call each other names.

dc2 is 6 and keeps telling me to shush if he's angry or doesn't like what I'm saying. I've started putting him in time out every time he does it, but it's so relentless and I'm not convinced it will make any difference.

they both argue with me about everything and seem to think they should always have the last word, seem to have no sense of respect. I don't expect them to be seen and not heard, but would like them to have a sense that not everything is up for discussion.

dc2 in particular is an angel at school, very mild mannered and very much a rule follower, but at home he's horrible half the time.

I want my dc to be pleasant, reasonable, respectful and they're just not. what am I doing wrong? or do they sound normal?

holeinmyheart Tue 16-Dec-14 20:18:34

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Your children seem normal to me. They feel safe at home and with you, safe enough to disagree with you and argue. Well done.
If they were frightened of you they would be very silent.
My lot argued and fought with one another and me and my DH. They had an answer for everything. Now the two naughtiest are Doctors.

Sooo just be glad they are lively. Mine were all little angels at School as well.

5exybomb Tue 16-Dec-14 20:37:53

If you felt that your kids were over stepping the line, you could try the naughty step?

losenotloose Tue 16-Dec-14 21:24:12

thanks. I'm finding it extra hard this week because dh is away. they probably are normal, I see other children behaving horribly, but sometimes it all just feels so awful and like I'm doing a terrible job!

I've been coming down very hard on rudeness and putting them in time out every time, I'm just shocked at what they come out with. parenting is hard.

Iggly Tue 16-Dec-14 21:25:27

You are being very punitive! Why not tell them what to do instead and teach them?

hesterton Tue 16-Dec-14 21:28:07

You could try humour. Next time he shushes you, try saying:

Did you really shush me? Did you SHUSH ME?

Now I have to do the Shush Me dance!

Them do five minutes of embarrassing mum dancing.

He'll soon stop.

hesterton Tue 16-Dec-14 21:30:57

But seriously, they do sound pretty normal and you sound like a good mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now