Talk

Advanced search

SIDS risk of sleeping on a pillow...

(17 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Tue 16-Dec-14 02:56:09

My baby sleeps in a crib. When it first arrived in the post I was shocked about how firm the mattress is.

My baby doesn't sleep well in in. She dies sleep better in her Moses basket which has a spongier mattress. But she's now outgrowing the basket and needs to move onto her crib.

During the day I tried sleeping her on a pillow and she slept very peacefully. She's only 5 weeks so can't possibly turn over so, seriously, where is the SIDS risk here?!

I would never put her on her front, and her crib is right next to me all night and I intend to maintain that till 6 months. I can see the reasoning behind these 2 rules, but I can't see why sleeping in a pillow is so bad...

cookiefiend Tue 16-Dec-14 03:16:04

My baby rolled over at six weeks. Just once, this is not a stealth boast, but I popped to the loo came back and she was face down on my bed (I definetly left her in her back). She was on my bed and when I came back she was red in the face spluttered and cried frantically when I picked her up as though she had been unable to breathe. It was literally two minutes I was out the room. I shudder at the thought of what might have happened. To this day I have no idea how she did it as she didn't roll again until whatever age is normal.

You need to research what risks are right for you and your baby- I'm not meaning to dictate to you ,just saying don't assume you will know for sure when your baby will roll for the first time. I was so freaked out! Good luck getting more sleep.

WhatAHooHa Tue 16-Dec-14 03:30:03

Do a few google searches, I just did as your question piqued my interest.

Soft surfaces such as pillows can cause the baby to overheat which is a contributor to SIDS.

Even if the baby doesn't roll over completely like cookie's managed, sleeping with their head to the side on a soft surface may create a 'well' which collects carbon dioxide around the face. As adults, our reflex would be to turn away from this, even in our sleep. Many babies don't have this reflex, or the ability to turn away if the reflex does kick in.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 16-Dec-14 04:15:34

Just buy a softer mattress.

fasterkillpussycat Tue 16-Dec-14 04:48:14

We have a mattress enhancer that we use for travel cots - it is really soft. Although DD does sleep on a normal cot bed mattress without issue.

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Tue 16-Dec-14 05:10:49

Is it really worth the risk? Presumably she'll be on that mattress for a while, so buy a new one.

LittleBearPad Tue 16-Dec-14 05:46:43

Buy a nicer mattress. My week old managed to roll onto his front last week. God knows how

eurochick Tue 16-Dec-14 05:48:24

Try something like a sleepyhead?

Buttercupup Tue 16-Dec-14 08:48:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buttercupup Tue 16-Dec-14 08:50:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bellyrub1980 Tue 16-Dec-14 14:21:08

All points taken! Must admit I posted that in a fit of frustration after several hours of baby crying in the middle of the night.

I'll check out those bed nests.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 16-Dec-14 14:27:38

I used one of these pillows for ds as he started getting a flat head on one side

WhatAHooHa Tue 16-Dec-14 15:33:36

I've just remembered how ds1 slept. When he was in hospital they used to roll up a blanket into a sausage, then bend it round into a 'U' and put it under his sheet. Baby's bottom nestles into the bottom of the U, legs going over the bottom, sides quite snug against his body. The ends of the blanket didn't reach up to his face so no risk of smothering him. I guess it held him quite secure and also stopped him wriggling down into his blankets. We carried out on at home until he could roll over. Maybe worth a try, see if she feels more secure like that?

Bellyrub1980 Tue 16-Dec-14 16:55:28

That's a great idea! I shall try that tonight smile

Granny wants to know what to buy for Christmas so definitely going to hint at a bed nest smile

Bellyrub1980 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:06:23

I assume the sleepyhead and poddle pods are SIDS approved for overnight sleeping?

Lovelise Tue 16-Dec-14 17:22:50

Hi, The Sleepyhead has been approved for overnight sleeping but not sure about Poddlepod as it says 'just for naps'

I would take a look at the websites.

I've got the Sleepyhead and we love it.

Bellyrub1980 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:24:26

Lovelise, I'm trying to find something on the net that confirms its SIDS approved, just to put my mind at rest before shelling out the £99.... Where did you get confirmation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now