Talk

Advanced search

Concerns about safety of my 10yo nephew

(6 Posts)
ToThineOwnSelf Fri 12-Dec-14 10:20:57

I am posting for some advise as I am concerned about my 10yo nephew. He lives with his mum who has drug and mental health problems. The police have been round twice recently but did not take any action. I don't know all the details of this. She was living with her partner who has recently left the house they lived in together due to her behaviour.

My brother (my nephew's father) lives nearby and my nephew stays with him sometimes, he and his ex separated a few years ago.

Can anyone advise on what can be done regarding the possibility of removing my nephew from his mother, as it does not seem a safe environment for him to be living in? TIA

Heyho111 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:16:01

I don't know about the legal side but I imagine that you need to get social services involved and go from there.
Is you brother prepared to have him regularly. You need to discuss your concerns with him.

jbledyeah Fri 12-Dec-14 23:59:05

if there were serious concerns about the safety of your nephew, the police would have contacted social services regarding this after attending the house. also, if the mother is involved in any mental health or drug services, they would also make referrals to social services.

however, there can be instances where referrals do slip through the net and if you do have concerns you should contact your local child referral and assessment team. although it might be called something different in your area. you can look on your local authority website and find the number to contact. tell them all your concerns and you can remain anonymous if you like.

ToThineOwnSelf Mon 15-Dec-14 11:27:31

Thank you very much for your replies and advice, much appreciated

ToThineOwnSelf Mon 15-Dec-14 11:41:12

I have just heard from another family member that the police and social services are now involved so hopefully things will get better soon.

hippo123 Wed 17-Dec-14 17:19:37

Why don't you and your brother ask his mother if she needs / wants any form of support at all rather then 'taking him away'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now