Talk

Advanced search

After school club dilema

(10 Posts)
Sophie54321 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:21:22

Hi just wondering what other people think. My dd is almost 6 with global developmental delay and has been having swimming lessons on a friday after school for 18 months and recently moved to stage 2. Im looking to move her to a different swimming club as it's nearer with smaller groups this old be Thursday at 4pm. also she does beavers on Wednesday 6pm til 7.30pm and after school club where they do crafts etc 3.45 til 5.15 on monday but I'm wondering whether it's a bit too much 3 nights after school. I really wanted her to keep up swimming as i feel its important beavers is great but she says her least favourite is swimming. Hubby thinks we should let her carry on with the 2 she enjoys the most so beavers and after school club on monday. What do others think about this being too much?

Starlightbright1 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:31:06

You can try it and make the decision if she is not managing...For me Swimming is compulsory with my DS. What time does DD usually go to bed..Would any of them be a late night?

Does your DD catch up on sleep..My DS is a no matter what time he goes to bed he goes to he gets up very early.

Sophie54321 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:39:19

Hi she's usually asleep between 8 to 8.30 each night but with beavers she's pretty much straight to bed as soon as she gets in, I suppose I feel like she doesn't have much time to just chill out but she seems fine, she's not falling asleep at unsuitable times or places. Where we live there are lots of rivers and dyes so I want her to be safe, also I didn't learn to swim as a child and I've always hated not being able to swim

Sophie54321 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:41:09

Rivers and dikes that should say

MissWimpyDimple Wed 10-Dec-14 21:41:21

I see swimming as compulsory too. I would carry on for a while at least. Stage 2 isn't enough to be completely confident. DD is 8 and on stage 4 and it's only now that I consider her a competent swimmer.

Starlightbright1 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:48:01

For my DS its not so much he falls asleep when tired but he gets very grumpy and his behaviour deteriorates.

What are weekends like does she get time to chill out over the weekend?

WineWineWine Wed 10-Dec-14 22:20:20

The ability to swim is an important life skill, but it does not have to be learnt through lessons. My kids did lessons for a while but to be honest, they benefitted more from going swimming for fun. The levels didn't suit them at all.
Can you go swimming as a family and drop the lessons?

Sophie54321 Thu 11-Dec-14 13:27:43

Thanks all. I think we'll see how it goes, once light nights are here things don't seem as late anyway. I definitely want to keep with the swimming, for a child who clung to me in water she now can swim a width without armbands and loves going under the water so I think swimming is very beneficial. X

TeenAndTween Thu 11-Dec-14 14:31:53

I agree, swimming is a life skill. DD2 does lessons and fun swimming.

It is very good for improving muscle tone and general coordination.

Also if your DD has GDD she may find as school goes on that she struggles a bit? It was very good for my DD2 to be near the top of her class for swimming when they did it with the school last summer, as she is usually towards the bottom end in everything else. A lot of the class were non-swimmers.

Sophie54321 Thu 11-Dec-14 16:14:53

Teen and tween yes that's a good point as I was a non swimmer when I went to lessons with school and I used to dread them it was horrible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now