Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

car seat nightmare

(11 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Wed 10-Dec-14 11:10:56

Does anyone have the silver cross simplicity car seat?

I have one and I just can't get my 8lb 14oz 4 week old baby comfortable in it. Firstly, the waist strap is too tight and the buckle pushes up into her tummy and has made her sick on several occasions.

I took the seat to mothercare for advice. They suggested taking out the newborn wedge cushion. We tried it and the straps do seem to fit much better. But on reading the leaflet when I got home the cushion is there for lumbar support and they recommend keeping it in as long as possible. The leaflet also says to make sure the buckle is low down on her pelvis which it isn't now the wedge has been removed, it's at belly button level.

I have no idea what to do. We've used the seat 10 times and the pressure of the buckle has made her sick 6 times. So it's basically unusable, and we're trapped in the house because I'm too scared to use it without the cushion because it's not clear what the risks are.

Does anyone know who I can talk to get get some help? Is there a service out there that will check your car seat and how well it fits?

PortofinoVino Wed 10-Dec-14 16:28:08

Is the buckle supposed to be so tight that it makes babies sick?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 10-Dec-14 16:31:48

-I dont have this carseat but they are all pretty similar-

The buckle should be pelvis area but it sounds too high - have you got the shoulder straps down on the lowest hole?

Id just take out the wedge, Ive had to witg ds (seven weeks) as it is making him sit funny.

CoolCat2014 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:21:00

I know John Lewis offer to check car seats are fitted correctly, think it'd have to be a model they stock, but I know they have several silvercross.

Bellyrub1980 Thu 11-Dec-14 07:03:08

Thank you. I phoned silver cross and they basically said do not remove the newborn wedge as it is an important safety feature.

There doesn't seem to be a way of tightening the straps without making the waist strap so stupidly tight that my baby screams and often the pressure iof the buckle info her tummy makes her sick.

It's stupid!! And my baby is pretty small compared to many other 4week old babies ive met. It just doesnt make sense.

Littlef00t Thu 11-Dec-14 19:12:56

There seem to be some you tube vids that might make things clearer

Imeg Thu 11-Dec-14 20:51:14

I don't know anything about this brand specifically, and this may be a silly question but are you sure it's the straps making her sick? I had a generally sicky baby but he was invariably sick in the carseat, and I think it was just the curled up position, not the straps.
Sorry if you've already thought about all this, hope you find a solution.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 12-Dec-14 02:10:17

Imeg, I'm starting to think the same as you on this one.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 12-Dec-14 08:25:46

Might it be worth looking for a differebt seat? Some rear face from birth to 4yo (Cybex Sirona eg) that would maybe be a bit more comfortable? A bit less "curled over" than an infant carrier

ArchangelGallic Fri 12-Dec-14 08:28:31

Do you have an in car safety centre near to you who can check the fitting? Some councils run them.

LIZS Fri 12-Dec-14 08:30:17

I also suspect there may be more coincidence in her sickiness than a problem with the seat itself. The waist strap should fall over the pelvis , is the wedge correctly positioned ? How flat is the seat, does it have more than one setting for recline ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now