Talk

Advanced search

Baby led weaning advice

(11 Posts)
Jenny1231990 Mon 08-Dec-14 17:55:17

Hi all. My little girl is 7months old, I'm struggling with this way of weaning. It feels like more of a snacky thing rather than eating. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. She will happily suck on cucumber, carrots toast but doesn't actually eat it. And it a bit happens to come of she heaves and normally brings up an entire bottle.
I gave her some sweet potato mash last night and she really enjoyed it. If she was to start having. This kind of mashed up food do I try reducing or dropping feeds? Should she be having a definite breakfast, dinner type thing at this age?
She has around 5 feeds per day.
Any advice appreciated. Sorry I sound so clueless but seems I can't remember a thing. Thanks

Imscarlet Mon 08-Dec-14 18:00:36

My baby was a milk guzzler. I did babyled weaning after reading about how 'natural' it was and why would you give a baby mashed up food. She never EVER took to it. I wasted more food. She hasn't been a big eater ever since. If and when no 2 comes along they will be spoon fed all manner of mushed up goo. I honestly feel it was another branch of lentil weaving that I bought into being a young naive mother. A mistake I won't be making.

Imscarlet Mon 08-Dec-14 18:01:00

Whoops, too soon. A mistake I won't be making again.

Jenny1231990 Mon 08-Dec-14 18:15:26

Thank you for replying. I thought it was me. I just feel like I'm not getting something. Apparently it's meant to be easy but I preferred the puréed way I fed my son.
What ever she eats makes her sick and bring her bottles up. Or ends up on the floor. Thinking to do it how I did before. And use the carrot sticks and cucumber as just snacky bits.
Thanks X

Imscarlet Mon 08-Dec-14 18:19:10

Yeah, that'll be my approach too. Best of luck!!

Littlef00t Mon 08-Dec-14 19:16:24

I do think every baby is so different, and if blw isn't working for you, don't keep at it.

For perspective, I handed my dd a carrot baton when she was 5.5 months and she ate the lot first time and didn't look back.

She's never sicked up anything, gagged a little at first occasionally, and eats like a trooper now at 9 months.

I'm not boasting, what I'm trying to say is that blw is supposed to be a lovely easier option, and it was for us because it worked for my dd. If it's not working for you, you don't need the stress.

ohdearitshappeningtome Mon 08-Dec-14 19:23:07

My baby is almost 8 months old. He isn't that keen on blw, but we try. I give him things to eat but not always successful.

He has things like scrambled egg, toAst, roast dinners.

We we do tho for meals is, I mush up in the machine whatever we eat, casseroles that type of thing! Any veg I mush and then freeze.he much prefers the mushy stuff but gives the blw a go but isn't that keen!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 08-Dec-14 19:29:05

They change quite a lot at that age with regards to eating I found. I did mush for about 2/3 weeks then changed to finger food but still spoon fed soup and porridge. At 16 months ds eats pretty much anything, with his hands or a fork.
Do what works and try new things when you want to.

GoldfishSpy Mon 08-Dec-14 19:31:20

I agree, all babies are different. My twins took to BLW quickly and loved it, still great, unfussy healthy eaters at 5 years old.

Lovelise Mon 08-Dec-14 20:22:37

Hi Jenny,

My DD is 7.5 months and we have gone down the purée and finger food route.

She has things like mushed up veg, spag Bol, cauliflower cheese etc. but also things like sandwiches and omelettes so that she can feed herself.

DD has 4 7oz feeds a day plus breakfast, lunch and dinner.

This way suits us as we both have a little control and its good to encourage older babies to chew. I suggest you do what you think is best and if BLW isn't for you, then so be it.

Good luck!

NorahBone Tue 09-Dec-14 22:11:08

Anything I could mash with a fork I spoon fed and anything else I gave whole. I think it's really good for a baby to learn to explore food and feed themselves from the beginning but it is also nice to be able to give them a decent amount of food sometimes! Also some food is difficult for them - my 1yr old would still struggle to feed himself yoghurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now