Talk

Advanced search

continue making daily noises around newborn???

(27 Posts)
silverandblack Mon 08-Dec-14 14:11:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TittyBojangles Mon 08-Dec-14 14:14:29

No don't Hoover, not because it'll disturb the baby but because if your baby is asleep you should be either sleeping or eating, definitely not doing housework!

HorraceTheOtter Mon 08-Dec-14 14:23:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TanteRose Mon 08-Dec-14 14:23:50

yes, just get your DH/DP to carry on as normal when he is doing the washing, hoovering, cooking, making you cups of tea etc.

You can just keep the TV/radio on while you sit on the sofa and hold your gorgeous feeding/sleeping baby smile

TarkaTheOtter Mon 08-Dec-14 14:25:58

Honestly, I don't think it makes any difference. I tried to make normal noise around dd but she would wake all the time. So we were quieter, it wasn't a strategic choice, it was the only way she'd sleep. Ds, on the other hand, has always been able to sleep through anything so we don't bother staying quiet.

strawberrie Mon 08-Dec-14 14:27:46

YY, just carry on with regular noise; TV, radio, flush the loo etc. IMO to start tippy toeing around a sleeping baby is setting yourself up for a light sleeping toddler! (Don't be like one couple I know who watch TV on mute with subtitles once their TWO YEAR OLD is in bed)

You might well find that your newborn is soothed by a loud regular noise such as a hairdryer or hoover when they are fractious, in which case I would highly recommend the free white noise app you can get for your phone, it worked like some kind of soporific drug on my two.

bronya Mon 08-Dec-14 14:29:46

Well if you consider that only pfb children ever have the chance to have complete silence when they nap, you'll see it's not really necessary! I carried on with life with DC1 and he naps through anything. DC2 now has DC1's noise while she sleeps (TV, toys blaring, banging, the odd tantrum, me vacuuming up his latest mess, washing machine etc). She sleeps when she's tired, no noise bothers her and hasn't since she was born.

Goingintohibernation Mon 08-Dec-14 14:30:23

I did it, and it did work. DS can sleep through anything. He has asked me to shower or hoover at bedtime before as he finds the noise comforting.

Footlight Mon 08-Dec-14 14:31:07

I used to Hoover to get the baby to fall asleep. grin

Yes, carry on as usual, but the best piece of advice that I ever got was 'sleep when your baby sleeps'. If you can, obvs.

MonstrousRatbag Mon 08-Dec-14 14:33:01

There is no guarantee that your baby will learn to sleep through noise. But I always worked on the basis that at some unconscious level being able to hear you bustling about was comforting, as we probably aren't hard-wired to want lone sleep and total silence as newborns.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 08-Dec-14 14:36:44

My DD would only nap with noise around when she was smaller, to the extent that one of her regular nap times was when I was blow drying my hair after my shower. I also used to put the Hoover on if she wouldn't settle! She's 13 months old now and still pretty good at sleeping with lots of noise, she managed to get to sleep in the middle of a huge firework display about half a mile from our house last night.

IdaClair Mon 08-Dec-14 14:36:57

I carried on with normal noise with dc1 and dc1 will sleep through an atomic bomb. Seriously I can go in the bedroom turn on the light tidy up put everything away etc whatever.

I carried on with normal noise with dc2, more noise than ever of course because of dc1! Once the tiny-baby-sleeps-wherever bit had worn off at about 3 months, dc2 would wake at the slightest noise and if there was any noise, would not go to sleep, at all. By 9 months dc2 would not sleep anywhere but a silent, dark room with a cot in it. Full stop. We still have to tiptoe around now when dc2 is asleep or we get a full on screaming unreasonable, angry to have been woken toddler on our hands who needs the full bedtime wind down starting again (after 20 minutes of unreasonable hysteria)

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it!

squizita Mon 08-Dec-14 15:13:47

We tone it down but don't creep round.

DD (3 months) is sensitive to TYPES of noise not volume iyswim. Relatively loud dishwasher or dryer or tv = fine. Quiet little door click = wide eyes of interest.
You may find the same!

misshoohaa Mon 08-Dec-14 15:21:39

If they are a light sleeper then they are a light sleeper and you can't condition them to sleep through noise. Both of mine have been poor sleepers, but my husband and I are both light sleepers so it's inevitable. DC2 is more tolerant of sudden noises when she's awake (DC1 would have cried at dogs barking etc).

Redling Mon 08-Dec-14 15:49:20

It's totally random, some days DS naps fine, in a deep sleep and I watch telly, ring my mam, do the dishes etc. He's lying on me now and I'm watching TV at a normal volume. However a loud sharp noise can wake him, so a dropped knife in the kitchen, the microwave ping etc. Also babies have deep and light sleep cycles too so sometimes he'll be in a lighter cycle and would wake easier. He's 16 weeks now and there is a noticeable difference in his ability to sleep through noise as he's more aware of the world, I'm not sure 'training' them works, but enjoy the time they just sleep anywhere at the drop of a hat! After 8 weeks it has been a battle to get him to day nap, some weeks no bother, other weeks copious rocking, dim lights etc. It's all development.

MewlingQuim Mon 08-Dec-14 16:02:39

DD would happily fall sleep when there was noise, then as soon as I sat down with a cuppa she would wake up and wail at me until I started hoovering again hmm She would only sleep when it was quiet if she was cuddled on my chest.

I got lots of nagging from DM about making noise when she was sleeping so she would get used to it but I really do believe that it makes little difference, they will develop their own sleep habits regardless of what you do.

DD is 3 now and will not go to sleep when there is noise, but will sleep through anything once she is gone.

She no longer sleeps in a cuddle either sad

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 08-Dec-14 16:04:53

Certain noises were ok (Hoover, TV), others (door slamming, phone ringing, clapping) would see both DC bolt upright

Zebrasinpyjamas Mon 08-Dec-14 18:06:32

Exactly what squizita says about toning it down and the types of noise being more relevant to waking up my DS (6mths).

I use a white noise app to help soothe him to sleep. I think its main function now is to muffle any sudden noises just as he is drifting off (letterbox rattling or similar makes him jump for example when tired). After his wind down routine I put the app on (on my phone or iPad) and he goes straight to sleep now. It's like a sign its time for bed. Current favourite is hairdryer noise.

Jenny1231990 Mon 08-Dec-14 18:18:09

My child must have been odd At one time it was the sound of the Hoover and hair dryer that made her fall asleep hehe xx carry on with all noises. Xxx

ineedaholidaynow Mon 08-Dec-14 18:23:41

I used to put DS in front of the washing machine if he wouldn't settle in the day. The spin cycle always seemed to soothe him to sleep blush

waterrat Tue 09-Dec-14 19:16:20

As others said - please don't do housework while your newborn sleeps ! Rest yourself !

That aside - it is incredible what noise my dc2 sleeps through - toddler screaming, cartoons on TV, loud banging of toys being thrown about ....

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 19:29:32

Mine loves MTV rock!! Sleeps happily to that! grin

jessplussomeonenew Thu 11-Dec-14 08:14:09

Sleep when your baby sleeps, vacuum clean when your baby does vacuum cleaning...

CuttingOutTheCrap Thu 11-Dec-14 18:08:20

We carried on as usual, so when dd slept we didn't lower our voices, if tv was on it stayed at same volume, if we were cleaning, we carried on. We didn't go out of our way to make noise, just didn't try to minimise it in the way some parents do. I don't know if it was down to this or just coincidence but dd sleeps through pretty much any noise

mrsleomcgary Thu 11-Dec-14 23:11:06

I'm another who didnt make any particular effort to lower the volume to get dd to sleep and I have to say she will sleep through pretty much everything now at 11months. Other than last nights thunder.

Have never googled to find out if its true but a friend told me that it's about 80db in the womb so they're already used to noise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now