Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when to night time potty train?

(11 Posts)
shelfontheelf Mon 08-Dec-14 11:17:34

3.5 year old twins (girls, if that makes any difference) have been trained since July but are still in nappies at night. How do you know when it's time to ditch the nappies?

There nappies are always wet in the morning but I think this is from weeing first thing when they wake up - not overnight, but how do you know?

Thanks

shelfontheelf Mon 08-Dec-14 11:17:48

Their nappies...

BarbarianMum Mon 08-Dec-14 17:46:31

You can't potty train at night because its not behavioural. What you do is wait for nappies to start bring dry in the morning then remove bedtime nappies. If child still not mostly dry by age 7, then seek additional support.

newlark Mon 08-Dec-14 17:57:40

I'm waiting until I have at least a week of dry pull-ups each morning. I'm still waiting and ds is 6 now.... (this summer he started having the occasional dry night so I think we are on the way now!) (dd was dry at night before she turned 3 so I didn't think it would be this long)

Jenny1231990 Mon 08-Dec-14 18:21:35

Maybe give it a go now. If you feel their nappy a are wet from weeing in the mornings. Maybe let them choose big girl pants and get a waterproof sheet. If it's a night mare you can always put a pull up on. But my son surprised me. smile good luck x

shelfontheelf Mon 08-Dec-14 20:51:53

Thanks all - we're going to give it a go at the weekendgrin

fairylightsonthetree Mon 08-Dec-14 23:09:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jojomom Tue 09-Dec-14 23:58:22

After a week without nappies during the day both my children went to bed without nappies and were both dry straight away. I think by leaving them out of nappies in the day and in nappies or pull ups at night is confusing for them. Both my DS and DD were out of nappies well before they were 3. You just have to be prepared for an accident or two and gently explain to them what they need to do if they need a wee.

TeenAndTween Thu 11-Dec-14 14:40:28

My DD2 was admittedly lateish out of nappies (3.5) but not dry at night until she was 6. We tried when 5 but absolutely no good. It's developmental, muscle control, and ?hormonal.

There really is no rush is there? Why not at least wait until the warmer weather when there will be less to wash? (Or just wait a year or 2, or until you start getting dry nappies in the morning, or you can 'reason' with them that if they wake they should get out of bed to wee.)

It's not a competition to get there first. You only need to be sorted before the first school residential in juniors.

tallskinnylatte Thu 11-Dec-14 17:22:51

It's hormonal- you can't do anything about it. DD was dry during day ages ago but nearly 6 and still wets at night- we did try removing nappies but just had 2-3 wet beds a night. At some point the hormone (can't remember what it's called) kicks in and they don't wee overnight- or wake up- like we do.

deliverdaniel Fri 12-Dec-14 03:49:32

we were waiting with DS until he had a dry nappy in hte morning, which never happened but he begged to be allowed to wear pants because his friends were, and we caved in (I didn't want to becasue I thought it would be way too much hassle changing sheets etc) but he's done brilliantly. Only 2 wet beds since ( a month ago) We were gobsmacked because he still has daytime accidents at 4 and the whole potty training process was an out and out nightmare and took nearly 2 years!Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now