Talk

Advanced search

Please reassure me about our baby's "teenage" skin!

(10 Posts)
Anticyclone Mon 08-Dec-14 09:28:10

I don't know where the phrase "baby soft skin" came from, but the image of perfect blemish free baby skin seems to be very far from reality in the case of our 3.5 month old!

He's got cradle cap all over the top of his head, then the sides and his forehead are red, blotchy and sandpaper rough, and now he's had a second flare up of a red spotty rash on his cheeks and chin. None of this bothers him, and I know his skin will be in a state of flux for a while, but please reassure me your baby went through all this and now has wonderful skin!

I know I'm being vain on his behalf, but I can't help it! sad

TheTravellingLemon Mon 08-Dec-14 09:35:51

It'll all clear up. Remember that everything is new to him, even the air on his skin! It takes a while to all calm down. Olive oil can help cradle cap. We used a bit of aqueous cream in DS's bath when his rashes looked more like eczema.

Goingintohibernation Mon 08-Dec-14 09:35:54

Is it eczema? DS had really bad eczema on his face as a baby, but grew out of it by the time he was about 18 months, and has been fine ever since.

JaynewithaY Mon 08-Dec-14 18:57:53

A couple of months after he was born, DS developed spots. The HV said it was just pregnancy hormones working their way out of his system and they would go on their own in a few weeks, which they did. He also had a bit of cradle cap, we used dentinox when washing his hair, which cleared it up, and tried very hard not to pick it out!

divingoffthebalcony Mon 08-Dec-14 19:00:49

It's normal to have spotty skin when newborn, but red/rashy/sandpapery at 3.5m might be eczema.

Aliennation Mon 08-Dec-14 19:06:50

Mine had skin like that at that age, it only lasted a few weeks. I used an emollient to soften the skin.
He was/is allergic to parabens found in most toiletries, washing powder etc. I switched to ecover washing liquid and chemical free toiletries.

luckiestgirlintheworld Tue 09-Dec-14 15:29:59

Yep it clears up. I didn't use anything on my DS. His was quite normal 'baby acne' though

CoolCat2014 Tue 09-Dec-14 19:46:06

Dentinox did wonders for dd's cradle cap smile

Anticyclone Tue 09-Dec-14 21:06:22

Thanks, feeling better now! smile

Imscarlet Tue 09-Dec-14 21:11:38

La Roche posay lipikar baume worked wonders on my child's skin when she was that age. Think it was recommended on here at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now