Talk

Advanced search

Keeping warm while breastfeeding

(13 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Mon 08-Dec-14 08:43:40

Ok, probably a stupid question.
I've been doing the vest top/shirt combo while feeding DD who is 5 months. As it got a bit colder I moved on to vest top/lightweight jumper or long sleeve top. Now it's getting properly cold I'm stuck with how to dress. DD doesn't like a lot of fabric ear her face, so my heavier jumpers don't really work. If I take jumper off I just get cold. Cardigans seem to get in the way too.
I probably just need to find a way to make cardigans work. What does everyone else do?

WishUponAStar88 Mon 08-Dec-14 08:46:34

Not helpful but I've just been trying to make cardigans work. It's a bit of a pain, I'm a novice though (2 month old pfb) so interested to see if anyone has tips!

Isisizzie Mon 08-Dec-14 13:32:29

I used to have on a vest top then long sleeved top then a zippy top. Just undo the zippy top tuck the extra under your arm then do the top up, vest down. It kept me just warm enough while feeding.

BentleyBelly Mon 08-Dec-14 14:50:23

I had a hoody with zips over the boobs that I lived in all last winter...will see if I can find it online for you...back in a mo!

BentleyBelly Mon 08-Dec-14 14:54:38

This is the one!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREASTFEEDING-TOP-DISCREET-NURSING-HOODIE-SIZES-FROM-S-XL-UK8-16-MANY-COLOURS-/151418293168?pt=UK_Women_s_Tops_Shirts&var=&hash=item23413bcbb0

I got a size larger than I normally wear and then had tops underneath that I could yank down from the neck, just cheapy ones from Primark and H and M.

squizita Mon 08-Dec-14 15:07:35

I have a cardigan and chunky scarf.

I also know where the radiator adjacent seating in all my local cafes is! grin And shop a lot in malls not streets.

But it is tricky. My back goes if I get too cold in the body: I do have to make sure there's a warm place to feed because of this (or express a bottle) but thankfully I'm a city mouse so there's plenty of indoor things!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 08-Dec-14 15:20:49

I had DD last November and was so bloody hot (hormones!) for the whole of winter that I just wore a vest top and thin cardigan! When I started to cool down I would wear a vest top, another top over then a thick wooly cardigan which sort of tucked out of the way.

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Mon 08-Dec-14 15:55:09

Thanks Bentley! Unfortunately all colours sold out in medium, but going to try a large and see if that works. May drown me as I'm a size 10!
I'm a chilly being and get cold easily!

kaffkooks Mon 08-Dec-14 21:17:33

I had some nursing vests which were amazing but can't remember where I got them from. Also light fleeces that zip all the way down the front from decathlon sports or equivalent.

Acorncat Tue 09-Dec-14 03:25:10

For nighttime I wear a thick onesie! Never would have usually bought one but it means my sides stay warmer when he finally falls asleep and I'm too scared to move him

ssunniebear Tue 09-Dec-14 03:37:37

for round the house an electric heat pad on the back can be very warming and soothing. I also find that if I keep my feet warm the rest stays warm, so perhaps some warm insulating socks if you are also like this.

WhatAHooHa Tue 09-Dec-14 03:43:01

I'm doing the same vest/long sleeve combo and yesterday started using my skiing thermals as the long sleeved part. Not particularly fashionable but very warm!

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Tue 09-Dec-14 07:57:03

I already sleep in fleece onesies with bed socks fgrin that predates DD.
It's day time I struggle with. Even at home with heating on I get chilly. I normally wear tshirts and hoodies or thick jumpers, but pulling that up means too much fabric around DDs face and she doesn't like it. She was a summer baby, and lingering hormones kept me hot over the summer, so she got used to me being just in vest tops so no fabric around her face!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now