Talk

Advanced search

'Sit down protests'. How to cope?

(3 Posts)
TooManyMochas Sat 06-Dec-14 21:52:26

Just turned three year old (last week!) DS has started doing sit down protests when I'm trying to get him ready to go out. He just sinks to the ground and goes all floppy. Today we had our first sit down protest in the middle of the street when he decided he didn't want to go wherever it was we were headed. I'm 38 weeks pregnant so can't pick him up. After attempting to reason with him I told him I was just going to walk off and leave him and pretended to do so for a step or two - it got him up and moving but he was very upset and I feel awful. I was just bloody knackered and feeling helpless. We've pretty much ditched the pram except for long trips and I don't want to go back. Not sure what to do though.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sun 07-Dec-14 14:19:17

Hi. My approach to protests like this where you really do need to go ahead with what you're doing is to explain that they have a count of three and then I will pick up/dress them/get them out of the bath etc. Then always always always do it. With DD (now 5.2) this made her realise (eventually! ) that there wasn't really any point in the protest. DS is just 18m so just starting with him.

With you being so PG I think you have little choice but to get the buggy out I'm afraid - just 3 is pretty young to have largely ditched it IMO and needs must...

Good luck!

SmashleyHop Sun 07-Dec-14 14:24:48

We get this from my almost 3 year old. I bring the small buggy along just in case. If she doesn't walk nicely as instructed she goes in the buggy. It took 3 days of screaming protest in the buggy before she got the message. Now just the threat of the buggy gets her up sharpish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now