Talk

Advanced search

At my wits end!!

(12 Posts)
Wherehasmysleepgone Sat 06-Dec-14 19:12:34

my ds is 8.5 months old and for last two days and night refuses food and sleep, he is hysterical to the point of being sick, it gets stuck in his throat and then he chokes. I've had little sleep over the last 48hrs and don't know what to do!
He refused any medicines yesterday but has taken some today with no effect at all? Tried teething grans too but nothing seems to be working. Sometimes when he cries at bedtime I will leave him a little while and he will go off but now he just gets so hysterical I can't leave him. He has just woken for third time tonight and is currently up stairs with dp crying, I had to leave room as I'm crying too!
Last night we got him up and he sat with us downstairs and it made no difference.
He has been dribbling like mad but his first two teeth came through with no fuss at all, could it be his second lot?
Please can anyone give me any ideas to make it better for him and us? It's not helping that he is majorly overtired!!!
sad

RandomMess Sat 06-Dec-14 19:15:20

I would go to the GP, it would be an ear infection - they are very very painful and not always any symptoms especially when viral ones.

Wherehasmysleepgone Sat 06-Dec-14 19:58:09

Thanks Random, iv just spent 45 mins upstairs with him drifting off then crying then he was sick all over me, he is currently downstairs seemingly quite happy!! I'm confused because part of me thinks maybe he is fine and the other part worries it's something more serious!
He has had a viral thing for a few weeks now as we went to Dr who checked him over ncluding his ears although that was over a week ago now!
I'm so frustrated and exhausted I don't know what to do next

Wherehasmysleepgone Sat 06-Dec-14 19:58:46

Oh and his eyes are so red with heavy bags so I know he is exhausted too but I just can't help him sleep

RandomMess Sat 06-Dec-14 20:49:54

When my dd had an undiagnosed ear infection she didn't sleep anymore than the very occasional 20 minute doze off for 3 complete days...

I learnt my lesson grin

Wherehasmysleepgone Sat 06-Dec-14 21:05:48

I'm going to take him Monday when they open - he has only just settled but I'm fairly sure he will wake in thirty mins if last nights anything to go by!
He seemed happy enough downstairs with us, climbing about and babbling away! His eyes are so red though sad thank you for commenting x

purplemurple1 Sat 06-Dec-14 21:14:41

My first port of call would be a paracetamol suppository at least then you can rule out pain and try food or sleep again.

Enjoyingmycoffee1981 Sat 06-Dec-14 21:20:27

Two hours calpol. The two hours later nurophen. The two hours later calpol.

Try to see OOH tomorrow. He's not eaten or sleep in two days. That warrants a doctor visit. My guess is bad ear infection

littlesupersparks Sat 06-Dec-14 21:22:52

I would call 111 tonight and see what they say and if he's the same tonight get him seen tomorrow. Just not worth it to leave it. Xx

crazykat Sat 06-Dec-14 21:27:50

I wouldn't leave it till Monday, take him to ooh first thing tomorrow.

I've got four DCs and the only time any of them have been how you describe your ds is when dd1 had an ear infection and neither of us slept in three days. Once she'd had antibiotics for a day she was able to sleep a bit better.

Earache is awful and doesn't always make them pull/poke their ears

LiquidCosh Sat 06-Dec-14 22:41:23

Hi OP, when mine were little I would give them some Calpol and then try them with a bottle about an hour later as if he is in pain maybe he can't feed. I would also let them sleep in their car seats for the night beside me on the floor and tuck them in with a blanket. For some reason they really liked the security of being snuggled in and upright also helps for the sickness.
Obviously if he's still not well tomorrow I would definitely ring OOH for an appt. Good luck xx

Wherehasmysleepgone Sun 07-Dec-14 14:05:47

Hi everyone thanks so much for your replies, we decided to call 111 and they arranged for us to get an appointment with out of hours Dr who said he has a nasty throat infection but hasn't prescribed any anti biotics but said if it gets worse to go back to my go during the week! He said to take ibuprofen every 6-8 hours. My ds has managed some toast this morn and a yog at lunch but still appears to be in a lot of pain sad he slept in the car on way home so we took a longer drive just so he could rest and he has just gone off for a nap now phew!!
He did check his ears and all was fine there thankfully!
I am hoping that he is getting over the worst of it now
Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now