Talk

Advanced search

Slings, swings and naps - Help!

(9 Posts)
Scaredycat666 Sat 06-Dec-14 07:11:46

I have a three week old DD and a 2yo DS. DD did the sleepy thing for the first week or so, and would even be put down for naps in her Moses basket. However now she's spending longer awake and is starting to resist going to sleep and wakes up within minutes of being put in the Moses basket (despite swaddling, mummy smelling thing s etc). DS was a very needy baby and wouldn't sleep anywhere but on me for the first 5 months. We then did some gentle sleep training and he then slept in his cot.
Obviously sleeping on me isn't an option for DD as I have a boisterous toddler in tow.
So... My question is... How do you get your children to nap. I have a swing but it makes DD scream. Also does it this make unhealthy sleep associations bs that are hard to break?
I have couple of slings. I never really used them with DS but can see how they'd be useful. But again, do these stop babies from being able to self soothe?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

wheresthelight Sat 06-Dec-14 10:03:53

She is 3 weeks old hun so I would stop worrying about association etc for now and use the slings!! be kind to yourself and do what ever you need to xxx

flipflopsonfifthavenue Sat 06-Dec-14 19:11:25

I could have written this!! DS1 is 2.4yo and DS2 4 wks and in recent days just resists sleep during the day. Hates pushchair, won't be rocked to sleep - I think he smells milk on me and just keeps turning head to feed - won't feed to sleep and gets fidgety and screams in sling. Yesterday he was up for 5 hrs straight and today similar. And this a baby who for first three weeks barely had his eyes open!!
My theory is he's very alert and curious and gets over stimulated by DS1 and general life about the house and gets so overtired he just won't drop off. Last two naps he's basically cried himself to sleep in sling sad
Saving grace is that when he does fall asleep, he'll sleep for 2.5/3hrs...

lighteningmcmama Sat 06-Dec-14 20:53:54

I would use the slings. She's so tiny, she's used to having been held for 9 monthssmile as for poor associations, well if dd1 is anything to go by you have nothing to worry about!at 18months she decided to walk everywhere after having been carried in a sling while out up till then..we used to get funny looks because she was so little but she would walk so far!!

lighteningmcmama Sat 06-Dec-14 20:55:43

Also you can use the slings alongside other sleep methods so that she will learn different ways to go to sleep.

Scaredycat666 Sun 07-Dec-14 06:51:52

Thank you all! I naively thought that having already had one baby I'd be a dab hand at the newborn thing, but nope! I feel completely de skilled.
I'll give the sling a go - I think I just have to get in the habit.
Flipflop... What do you do with your DS2 when he's awake - how do you manage the two?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Sun 07-Dec-14 08:30:08

I know what you mean about being deskilled. It's like starting from scratch and learning everything again as nothing that worked for DS1 works for DS2. And in a way why should it, they're different people! Bit by bit we'll get to know our DC2 and it'll become easier.

DP is around a lot at the moment so takes DS1 a lot leaving me with DS2. I haven't spent a huge amount of time on my own with them yet. We have somewhere to put DS2 down in each room so he spends a certain amount of time being carted around and put up and down in different places. We try to get out a few times a day and he's then quite happy falling asleep in the car or carrier. It's when he gets over tired or we're just around the house that it gets harder as am no good yet as working out when he's tired or the best way to get him to sleep when he is.
The other day was my first with both of them and we had a doc apt and then went to a Playgroup in the morning. DS2 essentially cried on and off all morning either in the buggy or at Playgroup and he eventually crashed out on the way home and I was able to transfer him to his Moses when we got back where he slept happily the rest if the afternoon. Felt so bad for him though as DS1 would never have cried for that long sad
Threads on here assure me it gets easier...!

Scaredycat666 Sun 07-Dec-14 10:36:44

I'm really lucky - we've managed to keep DS1 in childcare 4 days a week (supposedly to keep his routine, but really because I'm terrified of two of them together). So I'm very rarely alone with both for more than a couple of hours. He does term time only though so I'm dreading the Christmas holidays. DH is very supportive but doesn't really like to move from the sofa when he's not working - which doesn't cut it with DS who wants to be running about.
I never really loved the newborn stage anyway, far too hit and miss for me, so I'm really hoping it does get better.
Just took DD out in the car so that she could sleep in her car seat, but she's woken up after 5 mins of being home. It's going to be one of those days!!!

flipflopsonfifthavenue Sun 07-Dec-14 10:54:22

DS1 in childcare two full days a week which I dropped from three days in a fit of motherly love thinking how lovely to have my chatty little boy home with me more often while on mat leave shock DP off on Fridays so I'll only have two days a week on my own with them both and I think key is to have a plan and if you manage to do one thing a day and they and you are alive at the end of the day then we've done our job smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now