Talk

Advanced search

If your nursery loses your stuff do they pay you back?

(12 Posts)
Lillieshill Fri 05-Dec-14 19:54:30

My nursery is always losing kid's things (is this normal?). They even managed to lose the rain cover to a pram! Anyway, they have lost a real nappy of ours again. These things are £15 quid a go, so that is £30. I am pretty irritated by it. Is it reasonable to expect the nursery to reduce our bill by £30 this month?

girliefriend Fri 05-Dec-14 19:58:44

You can try!

Don't think you will get far though, I however wouldn't send them in with a £15 nappy on, just get some disposable ones for nursery? Also why was your pram cover there? confused

I think its wise only sending in stuff that you don't mind loosing or it getting wrecked....

KittyandTeal Fri 05-Dec-14 20:03:24

As a teacher I find it really hard to keep track of 30 jumpers for example. I cannot imagine how tricky it is keeping track of lots more younger childrens things.

I wouldn't send children in in anything expensive or that you don't mind not getting back.

I did have one parent say to me if it wasn't my job to keep track of her child's jumper then what was my job?! It took all my patience not to shout at her.

TheCowThatLaughs Fri 05-Dec-14 20:06:26

I wouldn't expect to be paying to have my things lost! They need to be more careful. It's completely different to a school where children are expected to be more responsible for their own possessions.

Lillieshill Sat 06-Dec-14 08:08:09

It wasn't my pram cover, it was another parent's. Parents who take their child to nursery in a pram leave the pram there, hence a rain cover.
As for the nappy price, well cloth nappies cost that much. And it is a super Eco, nature nursery so they put the children in the nursery's own cloth nappies during the day. So we send ds to nursery in one of our nappies and leave a nappy for them to put him in at end of day. It would seem ironic if we had to switch to using disposables because the super green Eco cloth using nursery kept losing our cloth nappies.

insancerre Sat 06-Dec-14 08:13:21

Did you label the nappy?
The amount of parents that send in belongings and don't label them is astounding
You need to label everything
The staff can't be expected to keep track of every child's belongings
I run a small nursery but still have 50 children on the register
The pram cover was probably taken by another parent

addictedtosugar Sat 06-Dec-14 08:18:31

So, they send your child home in one of their nappies?
How many nappies would you need from nursery to send your son in a nursery nappy each morning?

But no, I don't think nursery will reduce the bill. But the nappy must be somewhere. Have you really looked?

TiggyD Sat 06-Dec-14 08:29:29

Was it named? I work in classes that sometimes contain 30+ children who like to take jumpers, coats, hats, etc, on and off the whole day. Do they put their things away? No. Are their things labelled? No. Do parents expect staff to recognise and keep track of the un-named clothes of 30+ children? Yes.

Lillieshill Sat 06-Dec-14 09:10:39

No addicted, they send ds home in one of our nappies. I haven't looked as I only noticed when I got home and saw the wrong nappy in the bag.
I put the nappy to go home in each day in his 'box' which is way above the heads of children. So it is not like his clothes which are left on his peg.

rallytog1 Sat 06-Dec-14 18:09:27

Well if you haven't looked, the chances are that it isn't lost, but has either got mixed up in the nursery's laundry or sent home to the wrong house, and will probably make its way back to you next week.

I could understand you being cross if both things were yours and both things were genuinely lost, but you haven't exactly given them or yourself a chance to find it yet.

I wouldn't be sending my dd to nursery in £15 nappies anyway - can you not get some cloth cheapies that would be less of a problem if lost? Sadly, things always will get lost and mixed up at nursery - but most parents mitigate this by not sending dcs in with expensive things.

BackforGood Sat 06-Dec-14 18:12:32

Agree with everyone else.
1. Only send in things you can afford to lose/get trashed
2. Label everything with your name. Of course there are mix ups sometimes, but with a name label things will normally find their way back - without, there's little chance.

rallytog1 Sat 06-Dec-14 19:32:24

If you want cheaper cloth nappies, have a look for Little Bloom on Ebay. Or places like Little Lamb often have sales where you can get nappies for much cheaper than £15. There's no need to pay that much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now