Talk

Advanced search

Can a 7yo draw?

(22 Posts)
Flingingmelon Fri 05-Dec-14 17:30:47

Just to settle an argument, could you reasonably expect a 7yo to draw and colour in a picture. Nothing amazing, but well enough to keep them busy for half an hour. DH and I are both clueless smile

DustInTheWind Fri 05-Dec-14 17:38:41

Yes, but it depends very much on the child and their interests. Both of mine love drawing and sketching, and DS carried sketching materials around for years as a matter of course.
Are you meaning something complex and fascinating? Because you sound as if you just want to keep them busy for 30 minutes, and that can be a very time-limited thing if they aren't interested.

Flingingmelon Fri 05-Dec-14 17:52:12

Just discussing whether to get colouring books for my niece - she loves art apparently - or whether we should just buy her a big box of a4 paper. As a child I always wanted the paper but DH thinks that's a crap present grin

ineedsomeinspiration Fri 05-Dec-14 17:54:27

I used to love those books you got with the different patterns to colour in. Does she have an interest you can combine with the colouring book for instance I love horses so a colouring book with horses in was good.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 05-Dec-14 17:55:00

Get her both?

fuckwitteryhasform Fri 05-Dec-14 18:00:53

I would be a tiny bit hmm if a box of plain paper was a present for my DD who is 7, as she has access to plenty of paper at home. Combined with some lovely pens or stencils it would be a lovely present. I just bought my dd Melissa and Doug fairy stamp kit and she can use the stamps in conjunction with drawing a picture. Card making is always popular..... Or a book on how to draw.

fruitpastille Fri 05-Dec-14 18:01:48

Get her a nice pad of paper with proper sketching pencils. Or you can get those more creative doodling books where you complete the picture with your own ideas. Or a box with a random collection of different crafting bits? I do think just A4 paper on its own is a bit crap for a present tbh.

TheOldestCat Fri 05-Dec-14 18:04:51

Do you have a Tiger store near you? DD (8) bought a sketching set with some birthday money - it was a fiver and, while the pencils aren't the best quality, it's kept her amused for ages. It has a little wooden figure for her to draw.

MrsKCastle Fri 05-Dec-14 18:05:55

I second the suggestion of doodling books- the kind where you finish creating monsters, or make circles into flowers etc. Still allows for creativity, but gives the child a starting point. My 6 year old DD loves them. (But she would also be happy with a nice drawing pad and pack of pens/pencils, especially with the addition of some stickers.)

Hulababy Fri 05-Dec-14 18:06:55

You could get the big box of lots of nice coloured papers, and may some sketching pencils or colours to go with them.
DD loves (still does) the fancy coloured papers you can buy in shops - where you get the box and fill it yourself.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 05-Dec-14 18:08:11

I never had enough paper when I was little, so always swore that when I had DCs I would never be stingy with it, so I see where you are coming from. But nowadays most people have printers and reams of paper at home. I would be a bit hmm if anyone bought that for ds, if I'm bing honest. And 7 is too old for a colouring book.

But agree with a pp, you can get a skechpad, some pens or pencils, maybe some stencils or stamps and bundle it up to make a nice present which won't cost too much.

LynetteScavo Fri 05-Dec-14 18:10:25

You can never have enough felt tips and colouring pencils.

None of my DC ever used a colouring book.

Enb76 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:11:10

I have a drawing daughter. She's 6. Last year I bought her this www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1780671067/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/276-9179029-2605465 and this year I've got www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1479111538/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417802986&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40.

chirrza Fri 05-Dec-14 18:11:51

I'd say most can draw then colour it in. But they've probably got paper. I like the doodling books. There are some really great colouring books out too now. DD had this one and loved it:

www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Colouring-Book-Beth-Gunnell/dp/1780551797/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417802999&sr=8-1&keywords=animal+colouring+book#customerReviews

Enb76 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:12:53

7 isn't too old for proper colouring books. Kids books tend to have too much blank white scribble space and are not intricate enough to keep a gnat interested

fuckwitteryhasform Fri 05-Dec-14 20:03:14

Also have a look at some of Chris hart's books for kids. My DD loves this book www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Shape-Chris-Hart-Books/dp/1936096412

Or have a look at Djeco for other crafty stuff, not drawing but if she likes art she'll probably love
E.g. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005W0HAJ2/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SS115&simLd=1#immersive-view_1417809744806

TimelyNameChangey Fri 05-Dec-14 20:07:18

Yes but they don't all enjoy it. Most will enjoy sticking things down though...stickers etc.

Iggly Fri 05-Dec-14 20:09:34

My two love colouring in. Especially those pictures with lots of detail. They are 5&3 though.

Chennai Fri 05-Dec-14 20:14:22

What about something like this? www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Anti-Colouring-Book-Susan-Striker/dp/1407133314

itiswhatitiswhatitis Fri 05-Dec-14 20:26:35

Mine have always loved to draw but neither would ever go near a colouring book (so many sent to the charity shops over the years!) mine love notebooks with plain pages/scrap books. Both only like use pens though rather than colouring pencils (again mountains of pencil crayon donated to school) so I would say some nice colouring pens are better. DS1 loves the Berol fine line coloured pens for his drawings.

So IMO pens and paper are a great gift. I would be thrilled if someone wrapped up a pack of Tesco value printer paper for my two this year!

JoyceDivision Fri 05-Dec-14 20:44:47

how about this?

My dcs are 5 and 8 and both have one and love using it

QuinnTwinny Fri 05-Dec-14 23:11:23

My son loves drawing. I recently bought him a secondhand spirograph set at a fair for about £3. Keeps him amused for hours! He loves it because he can make far more intricate patterns than he could on his own. Amazing how much fun it is for them. Spirograph set and paper and your niece, she will get to make the pretty patterns and then colour them in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now