Talk

Advanced search

Things you said in pregnancy about parenting you would do....

(17 Posts)
chloecorey Fri 05-Dec-14 02:00:16

....but have grin

I know this has been done over so many times but i think theyre funny and cant sleep.

I would...

-never let DS eat chocolate ect.. He would live off fruit and veg confused

-not watch tv alot. We watch frozen at least once a day.

-never have him in our bed

-never let him have his own way to stop a meltdown grin

-not nap when he naps so i can get stuff done in the house. (He is one next week and i nap once a day with him still)

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 05-Dec-14 12:39:58

Things you said in pregnancy about parenting you would never do....

Address your other half as 'Daddy' when at home or in public.

My DH was negative about quote - a sea of plastic toys - unquote. We soon realised how light and easy to clean plastic is. Our pfb rapidly acquired a ton of cheery bright plastictoys.

Let myself go - <hollow laughter> there were days it seemed like the biggest acomplishment to get dressed AT ALL never mind look neat and tidy.

Gradually I learned it's okay not to be perfect. fwink

chloecorey Fri 05-Dec-14 14:42:19

Oooh donkeys, i really have let myself go!

Iv looked nice on one occasion when baby was at my mums, it was a wedding.

Day to day tho? I look homeless grin

funchum8am Fri 05-Dec-14 14:46:22

Yep, all of those.

Also said DD would never know of the existence of toddler crack Peppa Pig ... She now watches around 8 episodes a day hmm

NickyEds Fri 05-Dec-14 15:06:27

All of the abovesmile.

-eat Ellas pouches. Don't know why I i was on quite such a high horse about this one whilst pregnant but ds has sucked a "cheesy Pie" directly out of the pouch!

-sing out loud in the street.

-Don't think I ever said it as the very thought probably never entered my head but I didn't reckon on still wearing maternity yoga pants now ds is nearly one!

NickyEds Fri 05-Dec-14 19:45:34

Oh and i had a bit of an idea I was going to make his clothesgrin

Minesril Sat 06-Dec-14 07:02:22

Someone told me that there's no point in being out of your pyjamas when you have a baby. Like hell, I thought. I'm pleased to report that I have a bubble bath and wash my hair every morning. But then, he does like the sound of running water!

I told myself that he wouldn't have a dummy and wouldn't be fed formula. He has both!

Mrscog Sat 06-Dec-14 07:07:55

Wear cloth nappies until potty training. Lol. I managed 9 months at home but soon gave up when out and about. Still, I must have saved some environmental damage!

Fully BLW - I hated it! Soon realised that you can wean with real food without purées or messy BLW!

RoundRobinSparkles Sat 06-Dec-14 07:11:20

Not much, TBH, but I do still laugh at the fact that pre-DD1 I thought that I wouldn't mind being woken up in the middle of the night by a cute baby. I'd take any opportunity for a cuddle! hmm

Completely different story when she arrived, of course and I wanted to sleep!

Tbf I was only 23 when I had her and didn't really have a clue!

RoundRobinSparkles Sat 06-Dec-14 07:16:43

I always think that you are a much better parent before you actually are one.

My youngest SIL (no children) is a much better mother than me and my other SIL. She gives us a lot of great advice wink.

I'm looking forward to when she has children. grin

blondebaby111 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:33:51

Erm!! Let me think?? I remember saying id never ever let baby have a dummy, a week later , guess what? She had a dummy! It became my lifesaver. I also said I would never ever let baby get comfy in our bed with us, guess what??? She's now 10 months and on occasions for a good nights sleep and an easy life she's sometimes sleeps in our bed. God I was clueless!! I was the same with the dog, never allowed on furniture, not allowed upstairs! I think that lasted a week too before I caved wink

Thebluedog Sat 06-Dec-14 22:39:34

Ohh wow errrr

Dummies
Chocolate
Bribery
TV

stargirl1701 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:54:59

No dummy. DD1 had one for silent reflux. DD2 hasn't needed one.

Baby in bed. DD1 was in our bed in our desperation for a night's sleep. DD2 co-slept from night 1!

Pram. DD1 needed to be upright so slings ahoy. DD2 lives in one because I need 2 hands for a toddler.

Breastfeeding. DD1 was mix fed from 10 days. DD2 still ebf at 15 weeks.

Cloth nappies. Both in cloth with a disposable overnight. Love, love, love cloth wipes. I have not saved a penny in nappies as I just keep buying new prints but the wipes have saved us a pretty penny.

Purées. I wasn't getting enough time to eat myself with DD1 so making purées went out the window. We did BLW.

No napping in car seat. DD1 was kept to a strict timetable of time in the car seat. I have relaxed that one with DD2. If she is sleeping, I leave her but unclip the buckles once in the house.

No screens until 2. Managed that with DD1. We'll see with DD2.

No pouches/jars of baby food. Managed that with DD1. I can't see us using them with DD2.

Wooden toys. DD1 only has 2 plastic toys both of which were gifts. DD2 will have DD1's old toys.

But, the most important thing I have learned about parenting is that you have to do what suits you, your baby and your family. There is no one way to parent.

squizita Sun 07-Dec-14 13:53:30

I thought pfb would always look "put together" and match match.
Then poo and wee happened.
Whatever grow is clean, random cardie and novelty hat most days! grin And all 2nd hand (which is something I am proud of as a tight wad).

squizita Sun 07-Dec-14 13:57:38

...15 years of working with kids helped me not have any "no plastic toys" (I'm a bit obsessed with quality and education value but plastic is very practical) "no tv" etc rules as I've a working knowledge of how such things aren't demons! smile
But the clothes thing ... totally unrealistic!

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Dec-14 17:18:23

15 years of being a primary school teacher made me even more keen to have no screens until 2 years and wooden toys.

squizita Sun 07-Dec-14 18:29:19

I'm a teacher too (12 years - worked as a drama/pastoral worker before). smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now