Talk

Advanced search

Newborn with Conjunctivitis

(11 Posts)
MrsLilac Mon 01-Dec-14 22:27:28

My baby is 11 days old and has developed what I presume is conjunctivitis. Her eye is goopy and a little red. I have been using salt water and cotton wool to clean it all day. Spoke to my doctor friend who said it is very common with newborns but if it gets worse to go to doctors. Just wondering if anyone else's baby got this and how long it lasted?

MJP1 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:32:36

My baby had gunky eyes when teeny tiny and the doctor told me to drip some breast milk into it to clear it up, it worked too.

Congrats on your new baby xx

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:35:55

A gunky eye can be common in newborns (DD2 has had it from week one) but conjunctivitis is not. It will need treatment. Please make a GP appt.

BiggerYellowTaxi Mon 01-Dec-14 22:39:35

Both of mine had gunky eyes around that age. I cleaned the eyes with warm water and cotton wool and also dabbed breastmilk into the corners of their eyes. Cleared up after a few days. I don't remember their eyes being particularly red but they were spectacularly gunky.

WaitingForMe Mon 01-Dec-14 22:40:08

Are you breastfeeding? Someone on Mumsnet told me to use milk and it worked brilliantly. I expressed onto a cotton pad and wiped with that.

MeMyselfAnd1 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:42:41

Do some camomile tea and use it to wet cotton wools to clean the eyes several times a day. It will be gone in a day or two.

Having said that, if she really has conjunctivitis, the one with painfully red eyes and a profuse discharge, get her to the GP ASAP.

goldvelvet Mon 01-Dec-14 22:45:02

I just cleaned my babies with cooled boiled water and a cotton pad, squirted some breast milk in my babies eyes and it cleared up in days.

goldvelvet Mon 01-Dec-14 22:45:36

*babies eyes, and cotton pads one for each eye

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Mon 01-Dec-14 22:46:01

If the white of the eye isn't bloodshot,it's probably a blocked tearduct. Both of my children had them until they were about 2. Keep it clean and if it goes on much longer, there are massage techniques you can google/youtube.

MrsLilac Tue 02-Dec-14 07:56:34

Thanks for the advise. She has woke this morning and it is looking much better. I'm thinking it isn't conjunctivitis as I googled it and it doesn't look as bad m going to try's one of this and if it gets worse il make a gp appointment. Thanks ladies

rallytog1 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:59:45

It may be an infection she picked up from you. Do you know if your waters were normal?

My dd was born with group g (yes, g) strep in her eye, which they said was picked up from my infected waters (!) and it lasted for months. They said there was nothing that could have been done to prevent it. It was never a serious concern to the doctors, but we had to try various drops from the doctors before we found one that worked.

She's totally fine now (19mo) but her eye can go weepy whenever she's under the weather (although that can be handy, as it's a good sign that illness is about to strike!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now