Talk

Advanced search

11mo crying when told no (not surprising but need tips)

(7 Posts)
thomasstockmann Sun 30-Nov-14 15:50:46

My 11mo has started to cry if I say no (for standing in the bath or trying to pull cables). I also now face refusal to be strapped in the buggy.
Is this what happens at this age? Any strategies to minimise wrestling? (It is hard watching his little face scrunch up and tears rolling down)

dancingwitch Sun 30-Nov-14 15:56:35

It is so hard when they start doing this but you have to pick your battles &, if it is one you want (or, with safety stuff, need) to win, harden your heart & be firm. At that age, you can often distract them quite easily so the crying won't last too long.

DirtyDancing Sun 30-Nov-14 22:13:00

Just sending a message of support. My DS is 11 months and can get really upset and grumpy at even the smallest things. When he doesn't want to do something or I say no that's it! Changing his nappy, being put in the pram seems to especially result in an upset baby!

DIYandEatCake Mon 01-Dec-14 03:54:43

My 11mo laughs at me when I say no confused. He's so damn cute it's very hard to keep a straight face. My dd used to cry when I said no (still does sometimes at nearly 4 grin), it is definitely normal at this age. My only advice is to save the 'no's for the really important things, and redirect everything else ('can you give that to mummy please?' 'Now shut the cupboard please, well done!' Etc etc) otherwise the word can lose its impact a bit.
With the buggy, sometimes handing dd a snack just before lifting her in worked... We kind of alternated between sling and buggy at that age though depending what she preferred.

TheJourney22 Tue 02-Dec-14 13:52:28

Having the same. Good advice not saying no to everything!!!

thomasstockmann Tue 02-Dec-14 19:28:01

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely start watching my tongue and keep no for important stuff. I like the diversion tactics, hopefully they'll work. I suppose I need a small bank of strategies to keep up my sleeve (and for some time ahead tbconfused

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 02-Dec-14 19:31:14

When I say no, 12 month old DD nods her head and says 'yes', and carries on doing it, meaning I have to physically remove her from whatever dangerous thing she is playing with, resulting in a tantrum. I try and limit no's to dangerous things. Other than that I just ignore the tears/tantrum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now