Talk

Advanced search

Sporting Allegiances

(8 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Sun 30-Nov-14 13:40:20

This is only a semi-lighthearted thread. I'm Australian, DH is English. So, like I said, only semi-lighthearted hmm

How the hell do you civilly manage/encourage sporting team allegiances with DCs? The thought of my DSs supporting the England Cricket Team makes me want to throw-up/cry/both, but DH is insistent (they have Australian citizenship, dammit! They could have that retracted if Australia House found out, I'm sure!). We went to an England v Australia under-19s rugby league match yesterday and I was quietly jubilant when DS1 (2y 6m) wandered off during God Save the Queen but was very enthusiastic about Advance Australia Fair.

They're only tiny still, but I can see DH's and my banter through gritted teeth about our boys' sporting teams when they're older getting serious...

WidowWadman Sun 30-Nov-14 13:47:04

My kids happily support Germany and England. And when they play against each other they're happy that their team will never lose

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 30-Nov-14 18:35:23

But Germany v England is really quite civilised. I can see how that would work.

What if you have a household with a Man City v Man United divide? Arsenal/Spurs? Wigan/St Helen's? More like the England/Australia sporting relationship. I need to know how to deal with the uncivilised!

nc060 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:48:18

I'm English, live in Scotland, I would LOVE my son to support England. HOWEVER - my husband is Scottish, he will take DS to games when he is bigger and my DS will grow up in Scotland. Much to my dismay I have had to suck it up and accept that he will support Scotland(to be fair it will be character building for him!!!)

Bowlersarm Sun 30-Nov-14 18:51:59

I think.....you should not put pressure on your children who to support. That would be difficult if they were torn.

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 30-Nov-14 21:12:26

So does that mean if I put no pressure on My DSs to support Australia, they will naturally gravitate towards my teams...? <hopeful, deliberate misunderstanding of point>

KirstyM2014 Mon 01-Dec-14 15:52:14

Let them decide there selves when they are old enough, we have a welsh English household so you can imagine it but although I would love DD to be Welsh I would completely understand if she supports England. The more you force it the less likely they will support that team! X

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 01-Dec-14 17:27:00

Well, DS1 was born in Wales, so he will be permitted, nay, encouraged to support Wales Rugby Union mainly because we couldn't give a shit about the kick and clap game in this house. DH just sees this as further evidence that he should support the England and Wales Cricket Team <sob>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now