Talk

Advanced search

Toddler has temp of 38.9 degrees...wwyd?

(5 Posts)
BotBotticelli Sat 29-Nov-14 13:35:59

DS1 (23mo) was sent home from nursery yesterday at 4pm with a temp. They had given him calpol before I arrived (with my consent) and he was fine all evening and went to bed as usual.

Woke up at 5am coughing loads and had a temperature (didn't take it: couldnt find thermometer....but I could feel with my hand he was too hot). So i stripped him down into summer PJs, gave him calpol and he went back to sleep until 7am.

He seemed fine this morning so we went out to the shops and he was happy and chatting and being normal. However, just as we got home from the shops late morning his face went bright red and hot, and he was all cuddly and 'ill' again - gave him some more calpol.

He cuddled on the sofa and watched TV till lunchtime where he picked at some cheese and cucumber, and then asked to go to bed (unheard of!). I found the thermometer and took his temp: it was 38.9 and this was after the calpol so I can presume it didn;t work.

So I gave hima dose of nurofen and put him into bed. He went straight to sleep and this was an hour ago. He is sleeping fine.

WWYD when he wakes up? Should I call the OOH doctor? He was chatting away and wanted a story before his naptime so I don't think it's a case for hospital, and it's probably just a virus for which they wont prescribe anything apart from calpol, nurofen, fluids and rest....and our OOH GP is right accross the borough and the journey will be long and shitty for him on a saturday afternoon.

WWYD? Would you always call the GP if your toddler had a temperature? Or would you assume it was something that would resolve itself if there were no other symptoms?

roofio87 Sat 29-Nov-14 13:39:56

I would just wait it out and see how he goes. my 14mo ds has something very similar, bit tired and grumpy but otherwise fine, but has a temp of 39 without meds. I haven't called the gp as my gut instinct is that he isn't really that unwell, probably a bit of a virus like you say. obviously call if you get more worried, but otherwise I'd say leave it. hope your ds feels better soon!

DarylDixonsDarlin Sat 29-Nov-14 13:40:06

If no other symptoms at that age id ride it out tbh, just keeping a very close eye on him. Children of that age can go downhill rapidly, so do keep checking for a rash or anything. If he still has high temp tomorrow I'd be considering ooh if he seems unwell. Weeing ok? If it goes much above 39 degrees you might be able to speak to them on the phone? I've done this before smile

BotBotticelli Sat 29-Nov-14 19:34:44

Thank you. Yes I am gonna follow my instincts - I think it might be his back molars. He was fine all afternoon but then got all hot again before bed. Have him some more nurofen and he has gone straight to sleep. Hopefully he has a good nights sleep and sleeps it off whatever it is

TallulahTwinkletoes Sat 29-Nov-14 19:46:16

If you go to ooh they'll say it's a virus, come back when it's 40 (and when that happens they'll say keep an extra eye on them) so you'll feel you've wasted your time.

Just make sure he has socks on and medicine grin

thanks For you. Not nice is it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now