Talk

Advanced search

1 year old crying

(26 Posts)
Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 10:09:29

I'm just wondering is just me who is utterly drained by my 1 year old DD constant crying and moaning This morning alone she's cried for the following reasons:

When I didn't want to get up at 0540
When I changed her nappy
When she finished her breakfast and wanted more then wanted mine
When I dared to have a shower & wash my hair
When I dressed her
When I wiped her face

Arghhhh it's only 10am - I find myself shouting and acting in a ridiculous manner as my ears & head are throbbing.

I've ended up plonking her in front of the TV as I just need a quiet half hour.

I can fully understand why I see so many toddlers with a dummy.

My works away and sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy.

So is it just me am I a selfish Mum or do others feel the same blush

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 10:12:34

Oh and now DD is sitting like an angel watching cartoons and cuddling her teddy - I really am horrible and selfish. I need to work on my patience sad

3littlefrogs Sat 29-Nov-14 10:12:56

Is she poorly? Coming down with something? Teething? Overtired? Missing her other parent? Earache?

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 10:22:20

Hi 3liittlefrogs she is teething a bit which isn't helping but generally is quite a demanding child - cries at the drop of a hat. She was an absolutely dream till she turned 7 months then totally changed. I'm just having one of those days as DH has now been away for 2 weeks . I think a little walk in the buggy will help.

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 17:08:31

Am I really the only Mum out there having this problem sad

callamia Sat 29-Nov-14 17:11:36

My one year old is also finding the world frustrating. Nappy changes, getting dressed, cleaning teeth, going upstairs, going downstairs, putting shoes on... Anything may or may not make him shouty. It is exhausting, especially since they've no words to give us a clue.

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 17:34:22

Thanks callamia it's reassuring to know it's not just me. I blame myself for every cry and get upset because I can't seem to comfort her. That's really helped knowing I'm not the only one going through this.

wheresthelight Sat 29-Nov-14 18:25:05

dd has been doing the same since her back molars starting coming through and it is draining!! to top it all off she has a virus and sore throat so is refusing food and then screaming the house down because she is hungry so you give her food and she screams and throws it back at you

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 18:31:09

Hi where it's so draining isn't it. I hope your DD is a bit better soon. I've just bathed my DD and put her to bed - for the first time in nearly 3 weeks no tears, no screaming just cuddles & calm - ahhhh it was lovely to get my affection little girl back for a few moments.

wheresthelight Sat 29-Nov-14 18:34:53

it is awful! especially as they can't tell you why they are crying!! dd has also taken to wrapping herself around my legs and demanding to be picked up and screaming at me if I don't do it or then put her down again!

Dr's say ot should calm down once she is better but as she has been poor or severely teething for the past 6 weeks I am ready to scream myself!!! in fact I am considering going back to work for some peace!

DixieNormas Sat 29-Nov-14 18:37:28

Nope not the only one! Even my 3 year old has been grumpy and whiny today, he cried for 20 mins because he noticed I'd cut the bottom off his nursery letter. Only because it had to go back to nursery!

DixieNormas Sat 29-Nov-14 18:38:32

And the 21 month old doesn't seem to want to go to bed lately

Jackiebrambles Sat 29-Nov-14 18:42:21

My nearly 22 month old has been such a whinge bag today too so I feel your pain!

He's under the weather with a bit of a cold but I can't do anything right today!

Snakesandpropertyladders Sat 29-Nov-14 18:43:23

My one year old is the same. It drives me mad and then I end up feeling guilty when he is sweet .
I had a day off last week and he whined and moaned ALL day, I wished I had sent him to nursery instead.

dailygrowl Sat 29-Nov-14 18:50:16

Yep, I and many other mums I know had or still have this. If you've checked she's not ill or teething, then, I won't worry too much. Just keep doing what you need to do - shower, wash your hair, change their nappy, etc.

I see the cartoons worked - well done (y)

Sometimes they just cry because they want/need you I think. Sometimes being outdoors helps. It's like they don't seem to cry as much in the presence of strangers in the park or shopping centre or library rhyme time (they don't mind if toddlers cry at rhyme time). Surprisingly, the baby who yells like a demon at home is angelic and quiet in rhyme time....strange but true. Lots of tv, sorry, I mean cuddles, wink seems to help.

When it all seems too much, just remind yourself, they will get older pretty quickly smile

Lozzapops Sat 29-Nov-14 20:16:43

I feel your pain, my one year old is much the same, she has always been rather "high needs", we have a few blissful weeks here and there where she is much happier, but on the whole she is a bit of a whinge bag!

I think (at least this is what I tell myself) she is frustrated by her world. This fits with the timings of when she gets happier. I think she was a misery before she could sit up, then again before she got the hang of crawling, again before being able to pull up/cruise, and now she is starting to get annoyed at not quite being able to walk alone. I also think she is frustrated by not being able to tell me what she wants. We have a lot of pointing, "ah ah"ing, trying to indicate what she wants. Frustrating for both of us really.

I know it is so tempting to shout, but she isn't doing it to cause you any bother on purpose. I think there is no problem at all with putting her in front of the telly for half hour a couple of times a day. It settles her, and she is actually able to learn and engage with it. I am always so tempted to allow my daughter her dummy during the daytime, but always manage to resist (very hard though!) as I don't want to fall back into that.

Well done on having a successful bath time. Was anything different this evening to other evenings? Did you do something a little different that you could try again next time?

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 20:30:43

Thanks everyone - yes definitely frustration on her part I think - she's desperate to walk unaided but not quite there yet. She normally sits in a bath seat but she was getting a bit big for it so I removed it tonight and just sat her in the bath (is been a bit reluctant to so this incase she slipped ) so Im guessing the seats been frustrating her too. It's all guess work isn't it!! TV is definitely helping at calming her down. My DH is coming home middle of next week so I am counting the days for support. I'm going back to work week after next after having been off for 14 months only part time though so I just hope she'll be ok without me.

Lozzapops Sat 29-Nov-14 20:41:21

Ah yes, bet she loved the bath without the seat! Get a non-slip bath mat and she will be fine. Mine loves to stand up in the bath, so the mat is really handy.

You might find that going back to work is a good thing for both of you. What sort of childcare will you be using? You will have a break from being with her all day every day (which, let's face it, is hard!), and she (depending on where she goes) will have other environments to explore, other children to meet, new things to try. Might really help!

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 20:49:37

Childcare will be shared between DH and both sets of grandparents. I think you're right Lozza going back to work is going to help as we've been together every single day for the last 13 months and it is so so hard at times. I'm only doing a couple of days a week so hoping that this will create a good balance for everyone.

Lozzapops Sat 29-Nov-14 21:08:57

That sounds lovely, it will be so nice for her to be with all her family. Do you take her to any toddler groups or anything that they will be able to continue taking her to?

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 21:27:26

Yes we do a baby yoga class once a week and do Playgroup once a week too - I'll be able to keep these up as they are on my dates off. We do messy play class monthly too. My DH will take her swimming once a week while he is home and I think both Grans will do library when they have her.

Lozzapops Sat 29-Nov-14 21:40:17

Busy busy!! It will do her the world of good getting out and about with other people, but still nice to have mum a few days a week. Good luck with your return to work, hope things improve once she is walking and feeling a bit more independent.

Griffomais Sat 29-Nov-14 21:45:58

Thank you lozzapops just talking about it tonight has helped me unwind and relax. I need to remember that DD won't be little girl long and I need to calm down and accept there will fe good days and bad days. Thanks again and I hope things continue on a happy note for your DD smile

Lozzapops Sat 29-Nov-14 22:02:05

Ah good, PM me if you ever need to vent, I am definitely on your side!

Chickz Sun 30-Nov-14 20:20:25

Hello griffo. Hope your weekend went ok with not too much whining and crying.
Like lozzapops I also have a high needs baby who has whinged whined fussed and cried since she was born! She's 14 months now and good days are starting to outweigh the bad but it is so so tough. I hope things improve for you soon and maybe your LO will soon be able to manage her frustrations. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now