Talk

Advanced search

Newborn baby bf question!

(7 Posts)
Pastmyduedate0208 Sat 29-Nov-14 00:48:05

Hello.
I have a nocturnal newborn. He sleeps heavily in 2-3 hour cycle during the day, wsking for feed/change, hardly cries, meaning i get to do stuff.
I'll put him to cotbed around 9 after a feed/change, and he'll be fine, but he'll wake up for his 12:00ish feed and he'll feed, but he won't come off my breast! He'll fall fast asleep, and he goes mental if i try to move him or dare put him back to bed.
He will only settle if he is attached to me. I have tried rocking/singing/shshing but i have a mad red faced angry baby thrashing around unless my boob is in his mouth!
Then during the day he is contented baby again...
He is very little just 1 week old but i don't want to start a habit. Should i deny him the boob or just let him sleep there?

NoMontagues Sat 29-Nov-14 01:23:06

Let him sleep there. It won't start a bad habit smile

Don't worry about any of that for at LEAST 6 weeks and some people say a lot longer, if ever. Even the stint from 9 to 12 is a really good base to work from over time.

But for now just follow his cues. He's been in lovely comfort for the last 40 weeks and he just wants to stay close to you.

However you do need to sleep too so can you get him to latch on while you're lying down?

TheToadLessTravelled Sat 29-Nov-14 06:18:12

I am with you in newborn sleep deprivation hell. My 3 week old is doing exactly the same. Great during the day but awake and grizzling or feeding all night, only sleeping on me. Finally drops off around 6 so I finally get to sleep then confused

Hope someone will be along with advice soon...

icklekid Sat 29-Nov-14 06:21:19

Would he take a dummy for comfort sucking? Worked for ds- also don't get stuff done when he sleeps-sleep!!! wink

CoolCat2014 Sat 29-Nov-14 06:44:12

Dd (now 10 wks) was like that to start with, she did soon grow out of it! I think by 6 weeks. I know it's hard, but it won't be for long! We found a mobile really helped - she goes down into her crib and watches it till she falls asleep. We've got the fisher price rainforest one, she loves it! Also you learn to get used to putting them down slowly and gently - I often find rely cradling her head and putting a hand on her chest helps settle her for the last bit. And sleeping bags once she was big enough, as then she's not going down onto a cold surface.

Pastmyduedate0208 Sat 29-Nov-14 20:30:10

Thanks so much everyone, sorry for posting twice. I suppose I will get used to it and think I will try to master the lying down breastfeeding position until around 6 weeks!

squizita Sat 29-Nov-14 20:38:35

Yes they grow out of it all of a sudden! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now